*cough*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Oh yes. Best thing ever. The bike carrier I use with it is a Tradekar Silverbike, with third bike adapter. It tilts so I can still have access to boot of car. It is easy to fit (even I can do it).

freakhatz

Ys I have an old Pendle rack for 2 bikes. It's been brilliant and I have carried bikes hundreds of miles on it, including heavy dutch-style types. It doesn't affect the handling of my mpv in any way I can detect - apart from making it longer, of course!

Before I got it I had a strap-on style rack which overloaded the boot lid - it was carp - let's face it, what car has stress points on the boot lid for such loads? The pendle is much safer and has an integral light-board.

The Pendle design needs a special bracket behind the towball and although adjustable, over time, rust can creep in, seizing up the components. So although I am pleased with it, I hope that better designs have emerged since.

stevenb

What car did you get Dave? Is there a rack sold by the manufacturer.
I'm hoping to get me a Merc C220 CDI in october time possibly......and I'm sure they do a proper bike rack....will have to check at work.....

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
stevenb said:
I'm hoping to get me a Merc C220 CDI in october time possibly......and I'm sure they do a proper bike rack....will have to check at work.....

I'm not as posh as you :blush:

It will be a Volkswagen

(engine and platform with lots of Skoda bits carefully arranged around them. xx()

At the moment I have a boot lid rack on my VW saloon and it's a bit crap and I keep scratcing the car.

wafflycat

stevenb said:

If you go for a Merc-specific one, be prepared to cough up rather more dosh than is sensible - the mark-up is horrendous. And you don't actually *need* a Merc-specific one. Honest. There's no adverse affects to my Merc using a non-Merc-specific one.

I remember getting a quote from the local Merc-dealer when I wanted one for mine. I fell about laughing and suggested to the dealer that they go into comedy as they were very good at taking the p!$$.

I sometimes wish I could fit a tow bar to my car but ... I'll forgo that pleasure for the pleasure of driving my MG with the hood down and just my lady by my side.

A standard strap on Pendle fits on the boot lid, although the bike is more horizontal than vertical. MG originaly sold their own boot mounted luggage rack with a load limit slightly greater than 2 bikes so no problem there.

yoyo

I sometimes wish I could fit a tow bar to my car but ... I'll forgo that pleasure for the pleasure of driving my MG with the hood down and just my lady by my side - quote

Our sentiments exactly - just substitute MG for the best roadster in its class - the MX5 Mark II (mark IIIs look like ordinary cars). Roll on lovely summer days!

Yoyo

Evilcat

I use an Atera Strada which is pretty light and small enough to chuck in the boot once the bikes are off. No special bracket needed, security locks with steel core straps built in, and works well with the removable tow ball on my car. Much easier than roof bars and less effect on fuel consumption.

EC

Noodley

Dave, I have a towbar mounted carrier out in the garage. I have not used it for a few years but it is in good working order, certainly in need of a clean. I have been meaning to advertise it "somewhere" for a while but the potential cost of packing and posting it has been the main issue stopping me. I'm not sure what make it is but I'll have a look if you are interested...

(edit - it's one of the ones after the "spare clamps" but not sure what model as I have not gone out to the garage yet and not even certain that I'll know even then. But not for a Land Rover!: http://www.wilmond.co.uk/acatalog/Cycle_Carriers.html)

Noodley

Rhythm Thief said:
I used to use a two bike Pendle rack on the back of a Citroen 2CV, of all things. Absolutely brilliant, and if you can find one secondhand, they're not that expensive.

I think mine is a 2 cycle one. And it will not be expensive if Dave wants it! Packing and postage will be the "expense" I think...

stevenb

wafflycat said:
If you go for a Merc-specific one, be prepared to cough up rather more dosh than is sensible - the mark-up is horrendous. And you don't actually *need* a Merc-specific one. Honest. There's no adverse affects to my Merc using a non-Merc-specific one.

I remember getting a quote from the local Merc-dealer when I wanted one for mine. I fell about laughing and suggested to the dealer that they go into comedy as they were very good at taking the p!$$.

I work for Mercedes-Benz so I get 17.5% discount. It's the only reason I'd get one mind! I can have it kitted up to my spec. Its that or lease one for £180 a month...which I think is an utter waste....:ohmy:

I like VW/Audi/Skoda's...and if I didn't work where I do I think a Passat would be my choice.:smile:

TBH the most bikes I'd put on the rack is only 2......me or my mates...or my dads.

yoyo said:
I sometimes wish I could fit a tow bar to my car but ... I'll forgo that pleasure for the pleasure of driving my MG with the hood down and just my lady by my side - quote

Our sentiments exactly - just substitute MG for the best roadster in its class - the MX5 Mark II (mark IIIs look like ordinary cars). Roll on lovely summer days!

Yoyo

can we have an MG -v- MX5 war on here ? I'm getting closer to the MX coupe with the 2l and all the toys. Shame as I have some really good friends and trips with MG.

Top Bottom