Could chainless drives have a viable future?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
All in all that gives an efficiency on or below 70%, and I think I’m being generous. Thats an awful lot of extra effort doing not much apart from saving you some occasional chain cleaning.

Said in the video it's only 50%.

Slick

Guru

Looks good, but won't be any good to me as I do like a freewheel downhill. :becool:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Every so often someone comes up with a chainless bike. They sink without trace. Always.
Belt drive is just about OK, if you can live with the compromises they entail for the sake of an oil-free drivechain.
Separable chainstay / seatstay, hub gears only, incompatibility, the list goes on.
Shafts are hopeless. Heavy, inefficient, short-lived, dedicated frame and kit required, utterly dreadful in every possible way.
This crank-generator-wheel-motor abomination isn't even as good as that. It's got nothing at all going for it.

Belt drive is the missing link for the dedicated hub gear urban commuter wanting a clean, grab and go bike, esp one stored inside the house.
Since belt drive has no application in competition racing for the masses, it is considered as boutique technology for those elite commuter riders.

byegad

Legendary Member
This one comes around regularly, and then dies. Efficiency is nowhere near that of a chain, and unlikely to ever get near, removal of the wheel entails more engineering solutions if you are to avoid having to realign the rear drive each time. The shaft and connecting drives tend to be heavier than a chain system and to get gears you need a hub (Generally fat less efficient and heavier than a derailleur system)

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There is no problem with chain, apart from the oily factor and maybe the faff of adjustment and maintenance.
It's an Everest thing, because it's there someone thinks they can solve it.
Cheaper is not necessarily better, look at the number of Brompton riders out there.

Good morning,

Although cost and weight suggest the idea will never be mainstream, I can see a niche market where these factors are less important.

For example Centre Parcs, as long as the bike has a small battery they would be ideal. Holiday makers could cycle around the site and not get too sweaty and at the end of the day the staff can discretely recharge them.

In this case the cost becomes just part of running the business rather than me saying £3,000 not a chance.
Equally the poor performance because of weight becomes less of an issue because the journeys are short and battery assisted.

So if they work on a holiday site where else could they work, what about larger companies having a pool of them? You dump one in a shed when you get to work and then pick up any available one to get home.

A key marketing point would be this is not a bicycle, for many using a bike is a sign of having no money/driver's licence, this is the modern way of travelling in towns and cities. I have no idea what word someone would come up with to describe a bicycle as something else but given the cost they may very well be sold under a lease scheme and maybe the bike (sorry the ....) would simply exist as a brand name for both the bike and lease scheme.

Many people "Google" something rather than search for something, you don't have an expensive poorly performing bike, you a WidgeEeMaFloot.

Bye

Ian

tyred

Legendary Member
The logical solution for utility use is the hub gear with fully enclosed chain, like my 1951 Rudge. Clean trousers, no chain cleaning and the chain will probably last a lifetime.

IMG_20221030_161749.jpg

Such a bike is no longer fashionable in these parts as cycling has become seen as a sport rather than as an everyday mode of transport.

TK421

Casual Extremist
Although cost and weight suggest the idea will never be mainstream, I can see a niche market where these factors are less important.

For example Centre Parcs, as long as the bike has a small battery they would be ideal. Holiday makers could cycle around the site and not get too sweaty and at the end of the day the staff can discretely recharge them
Do not forget all PC environmental PR that companies would spin about saving the planet.
One hurdle to mainstream for urban situations is the whole carrying 30kg up/down a flight of stairs, something health and safety already says is a 2 person task! Not the best option for apartment blocks unless there's a ground level storage/charging area which brings along the inevitable security issues.

Top Bottom