Could cyclists get any lower?!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If I rode in that pipe I would definitely try and ride over the top :biggrin:
And I'd definitely crash 🤕

Yeah I'd want to be able to go fast enough to do spirals 😆

mad despot

Veteran
I often wonder why the service tunnel for the Channel tunnel couldn't be opened up to cyclists (and pedestrians perhaps). At least at certain times of the day. They could put in place arrangements in case the service tunnel is suddenly needed for an emergency. They could charge £1 / cyclist, I bet it would be wildly popular.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I often wonder why the service tunnel for the Channel tunnel couldn't be opened up to cyclists (and pedestrians perhaps). At least at certain times of the day. They could put in place arrangements in case the service tunnel is suddenly needed for an emergency. They could charge £1 / cyclist, I bet it would be wildly popular.

... And then you hit the gradient on the other side... 😆

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, apparently the maximum steepness for railways worked by adhesion is about 1:13. That's steep (especially for Hertfordshire) but I've gone up 1:10s before. I am lacking a few thousand horses on the average loco though.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, apparently the maximum steepness for railways worked by adhesion is about 1:13. That's steep (especially for Hertfordshire) but I've gone up 1:10s before. I am lacking a few thousand horses on the average loco though.

Touché.

I was just thinking about the Clyde Tunnel (Road) - Going down is ok, but at the other side... I know I need to get fitter again. ☺️😆

And yes, I know trains generally run on lower gradients.

Trickedem

Guru
A good friend of mine, who's a legendary cyclist, with many PBPs and LELs to his name has cycled through the Channel Tunnel. He was working on the construction and bikes were often used by people to get around in the tunnels. As I understand it, only he and a French worker cycled all the way through. It's a bit boring apparently!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
A good friend of mine, who's a legendary cyclist, with many PBPs and LELs to his name has cycled through the Channel Tunnel. He was working on the construction and bikes were often used by people to get around in the tunnels. As I understand it, only he and a French worker cycled all the way through. It's a bit boring apparently!

Boring... BOOM BOOM!*

Anyway, I would, tedious or not.

* - Actually, I am not sure they used explosives, they just dug through that Chalk Marl and stuff in their TBMs'. 😆

Last edited:
Top Bottom