Could Froome do all three GT's next year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Whether or not the rumours of cash to start are true, it's hard to see how the Giro parcours could have been better set up for him. I get the feeling a lot of teams will think that and won't bother sending out a team with a big GC guy in it but instead send a development squad and some puncheurs/sprinters to get airtime and podiums, meanwhile Sky treat it as a massive training camp... Having had an easy-ish Giro Sky arrive at the Tour in good shape, and if Froome is still upright by the first break day, and more importantly if some of his bigger threat rivals aren't he might well have the thing almost sown up before the big climbs arrive... If that leads to an easily controlled Tour for Sky, would he sign on at the start of the Vuelta to have a go at a single-season slam? If he did, could he do it?

If he wins the Giro he'll hold all three GT's at the same time. I don't fancy his chances though. I think he's been gripped by the idea of it but the reality is the Giro weather may not suit him, it's the most unpredictable of the three GT's. I doubt he'll go for all three next year, Sky have other riders they'll need to give chances too.

Adam4868

Guru
Same as above if he could pull of a giro/tour double that would be something else.I doubt he would ride the Vuelta aswell.Win or lose.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It makes you realise why Landa was so keen to get away rather than being super dom for Froome in multiple tours without getting your own crack as GC leader.
If he went for all 3, it leaves the likes of Thomas picking up the scraps.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
It makes you realise why Landa was so keen to get away rather than being super dom for Froome in multiple tours without getting your own crack as GC leader.
If he went for all 3, it leaves the likes of Thomas picking up the scraps.
They are getting very well paid for it though, and having so many good riders on the team means that when it's your turn to lead a team in one of the smaller tours you do have a decent chance.

I can see them having a double leader for the Giro. If Froome is off the pace or injured in any way, I reckon he'll pull out as it's really a fifth tour that's more important to him.

Reactions: mjr

Adam4868

Guru
I can see them having a double leader for the Giro. If Froome is off the pace or injured in any way, I reckon he'll pull out as it's really a fifth tour that's more important to him.
Was thinking the same myself.If it doesnt go to plan in the Giro i think froome will probally ease of and concentrate on the Tour.I would of thought sky are going to have to give Thomas a bit of something again this time.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They are getting very well paid for it though, and having so many good riders on the team means that when it's your turn to lead a team in one of the smaller tours you do have a decent chance.
You're saying the same as me with a more positive spin^_^
Minor tours/scraps! The likes of Poels, Landa and maybe Kwiat now, want team leadership chances at a GT. If Froome attempts all 3 the chances are limited to joint leadership at best, as Crackle says.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think talk of the double is premature, let alone the treble.

My reading of the situation is that having decided to go for the Giro, Froome has to be prepared to commit 100%, and if he's then unable to challenge for the Tour, so be it. If he wasn't willing to sacrifice the Tour this time round he wouldn't be considering the Giro.

But the possibilities are endless. Maybe he'll crash out of the Giro early with an injury that also puts him out of the Tour, and end up winning the Vuelta.

As an aside, no-one has attempted to win all three in a season. Even trying to win the three in succession is extremely rare. Apart from Merckx and Hinault, as far as I know the only other genuine attempt was Contador in 2015.

Adam4868

Guru
Only thing is i dont see Froome/sky sacrificing the Tour.I dont think that will of entered his head.A fifth tour is where the prize is for him and sky.At the end of the day outside the bubble of cycling fans hardly anybody has heard of the Giro and Vuelta.

Adam4868

Guru
You're saying the same as me with a more positive spin^_^
Minor tours/scraps! The likes of Poels, Landa and maybe Kwiat now, want team leadership chances at a GT. If Froome attempts all 3 the chances are limited to joint leadership at best, as Crackle says.
I think Kwiat and maybe Moscon will go for the classics.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Froome will be 33 by the time he starts the Giro and I think his age may begin to go against him for at least recuperating. He is a great athlete and super fit at the moment but no one is exempt from ageing , with its consequences.

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Froome will be 33 by the time he starts the Giro and I think his age may begin to go against him for at least recuperating. He is a great athlete and super fit at the moment but no one is exempt from ageing , with its consequences.
Precisely, this is likely his last chance

Siclo

Veteran
I'd be surprised if he rides the Vuelta, given the nature of the WC course in Innsbruck I wonder if he's thinking about the triple crown, it's been a long time since Stephen Roche did it.

Top Bottom