Could I change my MTB to a Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am just contemplating this option of commuting in September.

My MTB is a Trax Front sus from Halfords. I got it in order to use as a Hybrid but I felt that it would be too heavy and I wouldnt be able to keep a good speed on it (I currently average about 14/13mph when I need to get about 16/17).
The main thing I would have to change are the tires (current cheap nobbly ones) to something which is more smooth. But what else would I have to change? I have a mudguard set on, and a computer. I have the possibility of attaching a pannier to the back.

Is a MTB really suitable for travelling 17 miles in one hour in all weather?

Is a MTB really suitable for travelling 17 miles in one hour in all weather?

it is if you're fit enough to ride it that quickly...

tadpole

If you harden the suspension right down on the back and can lock the front forks, change the front chainset, and the rear gears, along with the saddle and the tubes and tyres. Different derailleurs front and back. I’d say yes

Or once you’ve priced that lot up, you may want to get a new (or second hand bike)
Saying that I bought a BSO MTB from Halfords and rode it for a year changing bits as they broke. Namely all the above, the time for change came when the gas suspension strut started to bend, I was told by my LBS that the cheapest replacement was £100, so binned the bike, and dug my old bike, Raleigh Mistral swapped over the new bits.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it the £200 one? How is that different to spending £200 on a hybrid? Just wondering...can add a rack to the seatpost and there are mudguards that need no lug holes.

Apparently flatbar bikes are more of a thief magnet than drops. Spend the money on an Abus granit lock, not cheap but v good

Top Bottom