Could it be the hub ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Iv noticed a rubbing sound lately when iv been cleaning the bike down.....
If I spin the front wheel I can hear it, but upon closer inspection of the wheel I can say with 100% certainty that it isn't rubbing on the brakes at all. In fact I released the the small brake lever on the caliper just to make sure.....and I can still hear it.
The sound appears to be coming from around the hub area.
There also seems to be a little resistance in the wheel spinning. It slows down a lot quicker than it should do .....
could this be down to the hub ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yes. What sort of hub is it?

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Yes. What sort of hub is it?
No idea I'm afraid. How do I tell ?
Giant defy road bike If that's any help ?
2014-02-26 21.23.33.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
If its a sealed bearing hub you may be able to breathe new life into the bearings by removing the outer shields, then picking the bearing seal out carefully with a pick. Flush out any grease or contamination using GT85, then regreased them with decent grease before replacing the seal. If the bearings are badly corroded you can either replace them or fit an entire new bearing cartridge.

When did you buy it? Had a problem with the bearing on the rear wheel of my defy within about six months, took it back to the lbs, they shouted at the giant sales rep and a new hub was duly installed. They promised me they had never seen a hub on a giant bike fail before, i decided to take this with a good natured pinch of salt as they fixed the problem without charging me a penny.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try pulling off those rubber shields then holding the axle and spinning the wheel. What do you hear and feel?

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
When did you buy it? Had a problem with the bearing on the rear wheel of my defy within about six months, took it back to the lbs, they shouted at the giant sales rep and a new hub was duly installed. They promised me they had never seen a hub on a giant bike fail before, i decided to take this with a good natured pinch of salt as they fixed the problem without charging me a penny.
I bought it privately just after Xmas. I think I will flush out any crap and then re- grease as suggested above. Would have done it today but believe it or not iv been on the hunt for a new BB. One thing after another at the moment.

Top Bottom