Could this be the future for cycle lanes?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by HJ, 18 May 2010.

1. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I came across an Australian initiative to increase cycle commuting called No Excuse Zones, not very exciting in its self, but in the CycleCity Strategy Presentation (7.7MB) I came across this example of a cycle lane (see attached), could this be the future for cycle lanes? Now that is what I would call a cycle supper highway.

2. Why, where's the pull-in for the sandwich shop? xx(

3. Jezston

Jezston Über Member

Cycle lanes apparently designed by actual cyclists? It'll never catch on.

4. Theseus

Theseus .

All looks pretty, but ...
    - what happens at junctions?
    - how do you join & leave it?
    - Will the roof & barrier channel wind?

5. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

& will everyone have to wear garish racing lycra? xx(

6. g00se

g00se Über Member

They have to in Oz - it's the law!

7. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

Who's going to pay for it?

No council in their right minds are going to approve a scheme that benifits a tiny minority of road users.

Eventually, the non cycling council tax payers are going to get a higher council tax demand.

Than how popular will the cyclists be?

Also, every young yobbo in the district will have a 'test to distruction' mission on those canopies.

8. NigC

NigC New Member

I wonder how much the tiny minority would actually be after a couple of years if something like this was actually introduced?

It's a kind of "chicken and egg" problem: Which needs to come first - the facilities or the users? There's not enough cyclists to warrant the cost, but if the facility was there, would the usage go up and the cost be justified?

9. OP
    OP
    HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

As opposed to the situation now where a minority of council tax payers think that they have more right to the roads, which we all pay for, than the rest of us... :tongue:

10. Nick_B

Nick_B New Member

They aim to get half of drivers out of their cars and cycling by 2030. Seems ambitious.

11. Matthames

Matthames Über Member

Oil prices would probably give a helping hand. By 2030 I reckon most people would be priced out of their cars anyway.

12. Norm

Norm Guest

In relation to the BS currently raging about taxing carbonated drinks elsewhere on these forums, I particularly liked that the only ad visible in your attached image being for Coca Cola. :tongue:

Anyway, closer to home, and closer still to your home than mine, HJ, there's a No Excuse Zone being created in Aberdeen which I know about having had a couple of interviews with one of the companies behind it last week. :tongue:

13. OP
    OP
    HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

[pedantic mode]
    Norm, Aberdeenshire is a county whereas Aberdeen is a city, there are two No Excuse Zone being created in Aberdeenshire, either of which is actually in Aberdeen. [/pedantic mode] :tongue:

14. AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan Do you smell fudge?

Shouldn't the symbol for the fast bike have drop bars? :tongue:

Damn good idea though. I think something like that would encourage far more people onto bikes.

15. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

How long will it be before 'Fast' bike goes past 'slow' bike, 'Fast' bike accidentally nudges 'slow' bike, slow bike swerves, hits curb, loses balance and falls into path of approaching car?

Where's their FMEA?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice