Could this be the future for cycle lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HJ said:
Now that is what I would call a cycle supper highway.

Why, where's the pull-in for the sandwich shop? xx(

jimboalee

Who's going to pay for it?

No council in their right minds are going to approve a scheme that benifits a tiny minority of road users.

Eventually, the non cycling council tax payers are going to get a higher council tax demand.

Than how popular will the cyclists be?

Also, every young yobbo in the district will have a 'test to distruction' mission on those canopies.

NigC

jimboalee said:

No council in their right minds are going to approve a scheme that benifits a tiny minority of road users.

I wonder how much the tiny minority would actually be after a couple of years if something like this was actually introduced?

It's a kind of "chicken and egg" problem: Which needs to come first - the facilities or the users? There's not enough cyclists to warrant the cost, but if the facility was there, would the usage go up and the cost be justified?

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jimboalee said:

Eventually, the non cycling council tax payers are going to get a higher council tax demand.

Than how popular will the cyclists be?

Also, every young yobbo in the district will have a 'test to distruction' mission on those canopies.

As opposed to the situation now where a minority of council tax payers think that they have more right to the roads, which we all pay for, than the rest of us... :tongue:

Matthames

Über Member
Nick_B said:
They aim to get half of drivers out of their cars and cycling by 2030. Seems ambitious.

Oil prices would probably give a helping hand. By 2030 I reckon most people would be priced out of their cars anyway.

Norm

HJ said:
I came across an Australian initiative to increase cycle commuting called No Excuse Zones, not very exciting in its self
In relation to the BS currently raging about taxing carbonated drinks elsewhere on these forums, I particularly liked that the only ad visible in your attached image being for Coca Cola. :tongue:

Anyway, closer to home, and closer still to your home than mine, HJ, there's a No Excuse Zone being created in Aberdeen which I know about having had a couple of interviews with one of the companies behind it last week. :tongue:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
[pedantic mode]
Norm, Aberdeenshire is a county whereas Aberdeen is a city, there are two No Excuse Zone being created in Aberdeenshire, either of which is actually in Aberdeen. [/pedantic mode] :tongue:

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Shouldn't the symbol for the fast bike have drop bars? :tongue:

Damn good idea though. I think something like that would encourage far more people onto bikes.

jimboalee

How long will it be before 'Fast' bike goes past 'slow' bike, 'Fast' bike accidentally nudges 'slow' bike, slow bike swerves, hits curb, loses balance and falls into path of approaching car?

Where's their FMEA?

Top Bottom