Couldn't get into RH lane...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I wasn't sure what to do in this situation, as I don't think it's happened to me before. I wanted to turn right at this RAB. I was approaching it along the dual-carriageway at the top of the picture. This is a 70mph road.

Normally not a problem, but this time I couldn't get across to the right lane in time. I 'missed my chance' to move over and traffic was approaching fast. So I ended up indicating right whilst still in the left lane, and stayed indicating whilst on the RAB.

That's about all I could do, right?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Probably, yes. And I think it's the alternative method suggested in the HC, although most people on here might advise against it, because you stand a chance of being taken out by a car overtaking and then lefthooking...

Can you not avoid it? I wouldn't fancy a route that involved a RAB on a 70mph road, especially one that required a right turn... (Where is it BTW? Just to satisfy my native Leicester curiosity)

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Cheers. I could dismount near the entry/exit roads and walk it, but, as I say, it's not normally a problem, but I just got caught out on this occasion.

It's the A426 Blaby bypass in Whetstone, south of Leicester. Zoom out from the pic in map mode to get a better idea of its location.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Maz, i have an island like this. Not sure if you do this, but i find if when indicating, you look at the driver behind you and put your palm towards him as if commanding him to stop, it works like a dream.

don't forget to give the thumbs up to him after (only if he lets you out of course, otherwise use to two finger salute :blush:)! they should be slowing down anyway. do it sooner rather than later also, nothing wrong with changing lanes a bit early.

CarnageAX

Maz said:
I wasn't sure what to do in this situation, as I don't think it's happened to me before. I wanted to turn right at this RAB. I was approaching it along the dual-carriageway at the top of the picture. This is a 70mph road.

Normally not a problem, but this time I couldn't get across to the right lane in time. I 'missed my chance' to move over and traffic was approaching fast. So I ended up indicating right whilst still in the left lane, and stayed indicating whilst on the RAB.

That's about all I could do, right?

We don't have 70mph roads in Britain...unless you were riding on a motorway I believe the speed limit is 60mph.

Tynan

Veteran
When scootering on the North Circular I see a very weather beaten type on a racer every day, I've done plenty on roads with a 50 limit but I find anything faster than that unnerving, I have vague idea about trying the North Circ once I'm on a good bike and fully fit, the lights drive me mad, that and the peds

won;t be doing any right hand turns though, life's too short

You could always stop on the left, wait for it to be clear and then go across to your righthand lane ?

One of my Winter routes home involves turning right at a big r/b which is a motorway junction, a big sod and one of those which is controlled by lights at peak times, so there's always two lanes of fast traffic trying to scream through the green light or run the amber/red to get onto the r/b, only to queue on it. Three lanes on the roundabout, fast traffic getting on or getting off mixing with stationary traffic at the lights, drivers trying to change between lanes to move up 2 car lengths, etc

I think rather than trying to ride round this nightmare, it's easier/safer to just stop on the left if the light's green and wait till it changes to red, or if it's red to filter to the front, then just cross to the pedestrian island, wait for a gap in the traffic exiting the island to cross, then cycle carefully around the pavement to the exit on the right I want to take.
(- I don't condone cycling on the pavement in town, but this is about a mile from the nearest house and I've never seen a pedestrian here, ever)

Tynan

Veteran
rbs are fine in my experience, not done motorways ones granted but I used to do Elephant and Castle and Crooked Billet and they're big and nasty

take primary early and stick to it, get in the right lane(s) and signal clearly, do it like a car, never had any problems myself, it's more formal than other road situations I found

again, I've not done really fast roads

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I encounter that very roundabout on the way home. I find its usually ok when I encounter it at 6.30pm ish but I was plagued by old ladies in silver cars who didn't look to their left when entering the roundabout when I got there at 5.30 ish, so I took another route via Countesthorpe - longer but quieter. On the way in I cycle approx 2Kmdown the A426 but at 6.30am its usually nice and quiet - and from then on its quiet country lanes.....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Cheers. I could dismount near the entry/exit roads and walk it, but, as I say, it's not normally a problem, but I just got caught out on this occasion.

It's the A426 Blaby bypass in Whetstone, south of Leicester. Zoom out from the pic in map mode to get a better idea of its location.

Ah, a bit I don't know very well - I did zoom out in the photo mode, but it didn't seem like a bit I knew, hence the question... Didn't spot that I could change to map mode...:sad:

Top Bottom