Couldn't keep up on the club run today.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I took part in a 25mile off-road trip today, and had to drop out a few miles in because the burning in my legs just wouldn't stop and I was exhausted.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth after gaining so much fitness over the last Year :biggrin:

Funny thing is I'm a half-reasonable road rider, I can keep pace with the intermediate group which is second from top with no problem but its obviously not helping with my MTB training.

Oh well....................:biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I would imagine there is a different group of muscles being used in serious off road MTB rides...more standing as well maybe. next week ge tthem all out on road bikes and see what happens.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I've heard that said before actually but I always thought that peddaling was just peddaling.
Maybe there is something to it........

next week ge tthem all out on road bikes and see what happens.
At least one of them was on the last intermediate road ride :blush:

domtyler

Über Member
I would take that as you now have something to aim for. Much better result than going along and getting bored and pissed off at the slow pace.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Roadies on MTB's lethal - very fast on flat and up-hill, but the MTB'ers will beat them coming down....

As a roadie, three of us went out with one of the lads and his MTB mates (some years ago) - us roadies battered them on technical ascents - just powered away, waited at the top whilst they had a fag, then they proceded to waste us going back down.... left us standing.....

With MTB'ing there will be a fair bit of climbing/tough going, so you'll effectively have no-where to hide - no drafting....

Good luck next time...keep at it

walker

you wasn't ill or tired before you set out was you panter? I did exactly the same last week, after just getting over a fever from xmas that just lingered. I managed 30 miles but all with next to nothing in the tank and I actually got overtaken for the first time Since I remember. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys, appreciated ;)

No, no illness to blame. I had the persistent cold thing over Christmas but thats all gone now.

Time to up the training regime this Year then :blush:

Johnny Thin

A former colleague of mine had only ridden MTBs for years but lately has got himself a road bike (a nice Trek) and got into road riding. Last thing I heard he was doing 50-mile TTs in a shade over 2 hours.

bonj2

don't worry about it, we all have off days. I played squash today and I was absolutely crap, didn't even work up a sweat.

yenrod

Panter said:
I took part in a 25mile off-road trip today, and had to drop out a few miles in because the burning in my legs just wouldn't stop and I was exhausted.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth after gaining so much fitness over the last Year :sad:

Funny thing is I'm a half-reasonable road rider, I can keep pace with the intermediate group which is second from top with no problem but its obviously not helping with my MTB training.

Oh well....................:sad:

Oh come one - I imagine you go pretty well in the summer, I used to ride cyclo-cross and finish nearly last...but go quite well if not fanatastically great in summer ! ;)

yenrod

Johnny Thin said:
A former colleague of mine had only ridden MTBs for years but lately has got himself a road bike (a nice Trek) and got into road riding. Last thing I heard he was doing 50-mile TTs in a shade over 2 hours.

Thats the deal with MTB'ers (though I came from the fat tyre fraternity too) throw them on a roady bike and they are hardly out of the big ring, mostly, but over a long distance they really suffer !

I managed to get dropped twice on Saturday. After about 40 miles me on my Sirrus, flat bar road bike (winter bike) couldn't keep up. I caught them up in the next couple of miles, unfortunately a mile or two later we came to a signal junction with an ASL feeder up the middle of the road the other rider went through and I followed but hit black ice or something and managed to clip a car ;). I apologised and explained to the driver and was about to press on but the lights changed to red and I was left there.

Top Bottom