Couldnt mend their own puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rupie

Über Member
Cycling yesturday, on my first sportive of the year, trained 3 months for. Happened across a boy, about 20 on a, what looked like an expensive carbon bike, stopped by the road. He looked in a bit of bother so I stopped to ask if he needed any help, he said he had a puncture. I ask if he was OK with changing it himself. The reply was that he did not know how to. I decided to start him going but a s I did each little bit for him, it was apparent he did not have a clue. so I had to do a little bit more each time til I had almost finished. At least he had the bits.
In the end I left him to pump it up and put it back on the bike.

All my mates says I should have left him, it s his own fault. But you cant just leave some one on the side of the road ? I did give him a telling off as to the fact he had just added ten minutes to my time after 3 months of training and it was not fair on everyone.

drummerbod

Ha - very similar experience here as well. Single rider on a carbon bike. Broken spoke at hub end. He was trying to ring someone for help but no coverage. He looked really confused as to what to do. I said all you can do is bend the spoke at nipple end until it snaps off and ride on - it will be fine ot get you home. I left him to it - he was still trying to call someone.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a first time for everyone. You were very charitable considering that you had trained for the event and were presumably going for a time.

But in return you got to feel a bit smug and superior. Which may not be much recompense.

Hopefully he will have learned something.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Is a sportive a race? I've got a pause button on all my timing things. Anyway, helped two blokes a couple of weeks ago, one had a puncture and they were both stood there scratching their heads, so I fixed it for them and talked them through it as I did it. You never know, I might need someone's help myself one day.

screenman

Legendary Member
On a Sportive i would have left him as i would be going for a time, On a normal road ride i would have stopped.:whistle:

Does that mean racing? or just pretending too.^_^

I would stop and offer help anytime, in fact I have done it in proper races before now.

Why offer your help if you then begrudge having to actually give it?
I think these things start off a bit differently to what you propose and the OP's grudge isn't evil. One usually stops to see if someone needs help with helping themselves. For instance, if his glue had dried, I'll pass him some. If he has already punctured twice today and has no more spare tubes or patches, I'll stop and help him. But if I stop and find out that a complete idiot has just done the equivalent of a Lotto millionaire buying a yacht and sailing off into the Atlantic and then calling the coast guard to help him light his gas stove, I'll also be fussed.

I won't syphon petrol for an idiot that left home with an empty tank either. Call me grumpy if you like.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Does that mean racing? or just pretending too.^_^

I would stop and offer help anytime, in fact I have done it in proper races before now.
It means trying to improve my time over said distance, i normally do the same sportive's every year so i can see if i am improving in my old age, Racing is for the young.:okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
It means trying to improve my time over said distance, i normally do the same sportive's every year so i can see if i am improving in my old age, Racing is for the young.:okay:

I suppose if every other person in the event is doing the same, maybe a little bit of a race. I have friends in their seventies and eighties doing proper races, how old are you?

Top Bottom