Couldnt mend their own puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'd always stop for someone, it's not a lot to ask for a bit of help when you are in need, whether it's self inflicted or not.
I also believe in karma and one day it may be me sat there hoping someone will stop.

Sara_H

Guru
Ha! When I was on a cycle camping tour with my son three years ago he had a puncture about 10 miles in.
At this point I discovered the spanner I thought fitted his wheel didn't, and that I didn't really know how to change an inner tube (having never done it all by myself before!!!)
A very nice man stopped and helped us, and didn't lecture us at all.
I'm much better prepared now and have assisted several cyclists in distress since that time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I stopped to help a woman who had punctured on an organised ride.

She had used sealant, which failed, and then attempted to patch the hole, which had also failed.

The sealant had squirted everywhere, leaving a sticky mess on the rear of the bike, let alone the tube.

Another patch was never going to stick without a thorough clean of the tube, so a new one was required.

Not my size of tyre, but I suggested asking one of the many passing riders if they could spare a roadie tube.

She didn't fancy that idea, and decided to phone International Rescue in the shape of her husband.

I was relieved, the situation had become too messy for me in more than one respect.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Inability to navigate is always worth a chuckle. On a charity ride a couple of years ago, the group I set off with got about a mile down the road before the two lads in the full team kit decided to give it the beans... in completely the wrong direction! We did shout after them but to no avail. I don't know how far they got before they realised they had to turn back. :laugh: All the gear and no idea.

Although now I think about it, it's less navigation and more following arrows.

Lol, when I did the New Forest sportive a few years back, the route bent to the left, but the first rest stop went up a farm road to the right. A lot of people were heading in either direction obviously, and when I went right and stopped at the rest about 20 metres in, I saw a whole bunch carrying on up that road....

Gez73

Veteran
I spent about six months carrying around two spare tubes that would not have fitted through the holes on the rim on either wheel having replaced both the wheels with some handbuilts. Had a 'visit' not too far from home and realised the mistake. It happens. LBS had replaced the two tubes with the thinner Presta valves and I failed to realise. Converted all tubes on the three bike fleet to Presta so all spares fit. Did assist a rider once who had a slow puncture and no pump. He knew it would deflate but thought he'd make it to work. He didn't make it to work but replaced his inner with one I gave him. You do these things for Karma and to post about it here!

lesley_x

Über Member
To be fair I went my first five years of riding without one puncture. My first was 2 months ago and happened when wheeling the bike towards my car to go home. I had looked up how to do it and watched videos and I was fine to change it but maybe, like me, he had never been unlucky and never needed to change a tube after a number of years riding?

I don't see why his choice of bike should make a difference, personally. I think everyone on a bike should have some idea of these things whether BSO, tourer, carbon, commuter etc.

It is interesting! Being post-70, I am of a generation where it was a necessity to mend things. With mates, I built "bikes" when I was 12- nothing remarkable because we all did it! I see from my kids and grandkids that they don't have that requirement! Something for us old old sods to bear in mind, perhaps?

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
They just build PCs nowadays!

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I was hopeless at first changing tubes over, and nicked a couple refitting the tyre. Then Friday I had noticed a slow puncture before I left house, and thought I would swap it after the ride. Got annoyed wth myself a mile from home so turned back and swapped it over in a matter of minutes. We were all new once :smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm with the karma crew on this one, though I confess I'm always careful to ask if everything's ok rather than anything that could be interpreted as me having the skills to fix anything more complicated than a puncture.

col1888

Stopped on the Velothon by a guy asking if I had a pump. Stopped for 5 mins whilst he pumped up his tube. No hassle. As others say , if I was stuck I would hope somebody would do the same. But I do think you should at least have an idea, before you set off on one of these rides !

Top Bottom