Council Complaints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
It is a dimly lit area at the quayside, and there was a branch protruding from a tree at about ankle height (it was dark and despite my lights i didn't see it). I don't often take the route because the council are redeveloping the waterfront which means the route through this area changes every week or so. You have to be diligent to make sure you don't end up riding onto the road. I was on my guard and went past two pedestrians, only to suddenly end up flat on my back. Look here. The offending tree is just alongside the cyclist on the left. How would i spot a branch at that height in the dark? A poorly lit area with foliage left untrimmed. It's a freak accident I'll give you that, but it is still the council's responsbility to maintain their paths and roads so that injuries don't occur.

No its not a piss take grow a aset !

iKVFL3s.jpg
ZCkVofU.jpg

I'm fairly sure that that's some substantial damage i've taken here and i'm quite lucky i've not ended up with more than just a cut on my shin.

Not sure if this is a piss-take or not, but i am more than responsible for my own actions. That said, i can't afford a new wheel, and i'm fairly sure this one isn't salvageable. The council take my money for public services, i'd like it if they kept the paths in a decent order, reasonable well-lit and next time i'll be able to avoid the bloody tree. And if they can't do that in a suitable fashion th

No iten i'll bill them for damages from having used their poor-kept paths.

clid61

Veteran
No its not a piss take grow a set

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It is a dimly lit area at the quayside, and there was a branch protruding from a tree at about ankle height (it was dark and despite my lights i didn't see it). I don't often take the route because the council are redeveloping the waterfront which means the route through this area changes every week or so.

Not sure if this is a piss-take or not, but i am more than responsible for my own actions.

I think you have perfectly described the excuses used by most motorists after a wholly avoidable crash. You were cycling in a manner where you could not stop in the distance you could see to be safe/clear. Learn the lesson and move on my friend.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rode over a broken branch that I hadn't spotted lying on a cyle path through some local woods and it smashed my rear mudguard. I just thought it was my fault for not paying enough attention!

Shame about your wheel, but I think it is just one of those things that happen from time to time.

I wouldn't be so forgiving about unrepaired potholes though! (Or ropes strung across paths ...)

classic33

Leg End Member
If that's the damage done to the wheel alone, what damage is there to the frame & forks?

You've admittted that you were aware that there is ongoing work, that you are aware of it. That your lights did not offer you the chance to see it, before hitting it, yet fail to understand why you should have to foot the repair bill.

That's a bit like knowing there's roadworks on the road you're on and colliding with the work in progress.

Why so much lateral damage to a wheel, rotating, and moving forwards though?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yes, you'll get it. You'll need to put effort into it though.
My first commute of this year I buckled my rear wheelin a water filled pothole.
It took untIl the summer but I got my 80 quid.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
And look on the bright side ... I'd expect the council to pop down there pronto and clear away the evidence, so it'll be safer for other users. If you haven't photographed it within a few hours of the incident, I'd predict that your claim will fail at the first hurdle. Sorry.

Wafer

Veteran
Who owns the tree the the branch was on? If it's on council maintained land, you might have a chance, if not, it's not them that's responsible. They aren't paying to cut other peoples hedges just because they encroach over highway. In cases where people report overhanging 'vegetation' they will write to the land owner asking them to do something about it and possibly end up doing it themselves and charging the land owner if they don't sort it, god knows what the time scales might be like for that though, probably depends on the complaints.

Also, don't know if you are in a 1 or 2 tier council area. In 2 tier the County Council would be responsible for highway maintenance (unless it was Highways Agency) but the District Council might be responsible for things like verge maintenance. If the County Council aren't responsible for the maintenance of the tree (and they might very well not be) I doubt there'd be any payout, even if it's another local authority that is responsible....

I know the County Council I work at do get claims for damage caused by pot holes and some do get paid out, no idea about stuff like this though.

Top Bottom