Council Complaints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schneil

Veteran
I've had a tree branch attack me in broad daylight.

View: http://youtu.be/zgzfRU7wdec

It wrote off my rear mudguard, the wheel needed trueing and my rack took a wallop!

The issue to me is lack of maintennance of cycle paths. I can think of quite a few sections of the Fallowfield loop that are still covered in soggy leaves, making a nice skid hazard. I'm not sure who to complain to. Sustrans? Manchester City Council?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The council where I live contest every single claim for damages. Apparently saving us millions.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've had a tree branch attack me in broad daylight.

View: http://youtu.be/zgzfRU7wdec

It wrote off my rear mudguard, the wheel needed trueing and my rack took a wallop!

The issue to me is lack of maintennance of cycle paths. I can think of quite a few sections of the Fallowfield loop that are still covered in soggy leaves, making a nice skid hazard. I'm not sure who to complain to. Sustrans? Manchester City Council?

So instead you moan about it on here, have you honestly not thought about approaching them both to see who owns your perceived problem.

It was Autumn it is now winter, you have got to expect tree's to drop.

Mike_P

Guru
Re the two tier council issue, Highway matters can rest with the district council if they operate under an agency agreement with the County Council. Use to be that way in North Yorkshire with Scarborough and Harrogate councils having highway responsibility for their main urban areas, NYCC cancelled the agency agreements after they lost a bid to become a unitary authority.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
A couple of months ago I noticed the Sustrans route at Bardney was cracking up, in a way that a wheel could drop into it.

I came home from the ride and phoned them, they said nobody else had reported it and they would check it out, I followed this up with a short email.

2 days later whilst riding the same route a guy was out filling the cracks in.

I have on 3 occasions spoken to Sustrans about problems with the path, each time it has been fixed quickly, and each time nobody else had reported it.

I do not moan about it I just report it.

If anyone rides the bit between Bardney bridge and the lock you will notice the filled in cracks.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
why do some people think that everything, is somebody elses fault, sh!t happens

Well, to be fair, everything is somebodies else's fault, mixed in with your own, of course. It's just that some people exercise their rights to moan and get something out of it better than others. I'd probably take it as my own fault, but that's not the full picture really and, at the end of the day, it's me who misses out. I know a few others who'd just go for it though, and claim for anything that ever happened to them, if they could. They probably end up with higher stress levels and I probably end up with higher outgoings but heck, that's life & we're not all the same. Weird thing is that if I had a pathway & welcomed people to traverse it, having placed obstacles in their way and not told them about it, and then they damaged themselves or the equipment they were using, I'd probably feel like compensating them in some way. If you feel that there's blame to allocate and want to blame anyone, blame the legal system and insurance companies. This guy's just using the system.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
your first line
Well, to be fair, everything is somebodies else's fault
no it isnt
its currently snowing outside, if i step out of my front door and slip on my drive tomorrow , whos fault is it

Ha, ha, picked apart like a pro and yep, it would be your fault. Although, I'm sure that if I were thus inclined, I could probably find a way of blaming someone somewhere. The beating of a butterfly wing and all that... :whistle:

This is partially the councils fault though, partially whoever owns the tree and partly the OP.

Schneil

Veteran
So instead you moan about it on here, have you honestly not thought about approaching them both to see who owns your perceived problem.

It was Autumn it is now winter, you have got to expect tree's to drop.
Thanks for your helpful advice. I wasn't moaning, I was asking a question.
Anyway I've emailed Sustrans, they should be more helpful than the council.

screenman

Legendary Member
I always phone and follow that up with an email. I feel that it would be too much to expect every foot of every path, road or track to be checked daily. We all need to do our bit.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Problem is the area may fall into a grey area where the developers may be responsible for the area rather than the council. I had an area which was undergoing redevelopment and the street light was gone so reported it to the council (who had fixed the lights in that area previously) to find that during the development that the responsibility had passed to the developer, even for something that was normally maintained by the council.

Top Bottom