Count Arthur Strong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
In the same tradition as Tony Hancock I suppose, working off a comic script.
More Harry Worth than Tony Hancock.

Drago

Legendary Member
She's actually moderately amusing. Unlike Steve Punt, who's entire act consists of pretending Labour has never done anything wrong eve. He's almost annoying as Hugh Dennis' combover on TV.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's not canned though. One of my friends is a real fan and has been to recordings. Personally I think the Count might be funny the first couple of times, but then the joke starts to wear a bit thin. And it's very old-fashioned humour I think; he would have been at home with Hancock or Tommy Handley.

Who would you like to hear on the radio then, Drago, now that Bernard Manning is no more?

What do you think of Jocelyn Jee Esien's R4 show?

Well they should bloody well laugh in a more natural manner!

Tim Hall

Count Arthur Strong has me going for the off switch. Jocelyn didn't work for me the one time I gave her a listen, I might have another go.
Stuff I like: John Finnemore, David Mitchell. The Now Show is starting to get tired, although the idea of bringing rel live experts in seems to work OK. Is it a recent innovation, or have I not been paying attention?
Looking at the coming week's six thirty slot: Just a minute, been going too long. Jack Dee's take on it in ISIHAC is better. Lost Hancocks. The previous series was good, I'll give that a go. Here's Jocelyn. Might give her a try. David Sedaris I could listen to for ages, but I think this might be the wrong time of day for him. The Now Show. See above.

Tim Hall

Count Arthur Strong has me going for the off switch. Jocelyn didn't work for me the one time I gave her a listen, I might have another go.
Stuff I like: John Finnemore, David Mitchell. The Now Show is starting to get tired, although the idea of bringing rel live experts in seems to work OK. Is it a recent innovation, or have I not been paying attention?
Looking at the coming week's six thirty slot: Just a minute, been going too long. Jack Dee's take on it in ISIHAC is better. Lost Hancocks. The previous series was good, I'll give that a go. Here's Jocelyn. Might give her a try. David Sedaris I could listen to for ages, but I think this might be the wrong time of day for him. The Now Show. See above.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Last week's Now Show was laugh-out-loud funny a few times - the expert they had in to talk about spying was capable enough to react to the jokes. I wish they'd drop the songs, though. The Friday Night Comedy podcast is worth a subscription. I also subscribe to the Comedy of the week podcast, which gives an opportunity to listen to things I otherwise wouldn't, or couldn't - I'm only home by 6:30 if I've escaped from the office bang on time.

Jocelyn was really mediocre, I thought, John Finnemore very strong, and there've been a couple of unexpected treats in the last couple of weeks. Mark Steel's revelatory show on his background I'd recommend - it turns out that his natural father (he's adopted) was exactly the sort of upper-class cad he rails against. You've got six days left. And the most recent episode, by Sarah Kendall was a perfect half-hour short story.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
We first saw him at the Civic theatre in Doncaster about 8 years ago. Steve signed CD's as Count Arthur.
Going to see "The Sound of Mucus" at the Leicester Curve mid May. Can't wait.

Top Bottom