Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I struggle to open a bag of crisps.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Too embarrassed to say.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Summat else.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
There was a bricklayer who drank in a local pub I worked in about 40 years ago. He was always very well dressed, suit, shirt & tie etc and had a nice gleaming BMW. Anyway, beside that he had these muscles that popped out from the side of his hands when he clenched his fists. I'd never seen anything like them before and still haven't. These muscles were between his thumbs and index fingers and looked like half a boiled egg (sliced length ways, not width ways, for those who can't quite understand :rolleyes: ). He said they were due to many years of brick laying. I fail to see how simply picking up bricks and cementing them on top of each other can develop such 'freaky' muscles.🤔

I used to be a bricky. I never noticed this until you said.

Remember, not all bricks are the same size. I used to pick up Breeze Blocks (even the hollow double ones) in one hand too

This had stood me in great sted, as I can now carry two cases of 18 cans to the checkout - one in each hand.

They all think I have a drink problem, but nobody dare mention it :whistle:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My legs are strong (I used to max out the leg press at the 6th form gym for 1RM). My pecs are extremely weak, I used to struggle with 20kg on the pec-fly. My back is insanely strong for my size, I remember me and a mate were asked to move some concrete tables in our local pub; he could barely lift half off the ground, but I bent my knees (back when I could) hoisted it onto my shoulder and walked off with it.

But, my core strength and lower back is poor, so I can't do much bending. I've also strained my wrist a few times, by ringing out a wet flannel!
I had physio from the NHS but the exercises did nothing, and I'm too apathetic to do anything about it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I first started, I'd take 1 sack at a time, draped across the back of my neck. Soon I got strong enough to carry a 25 kg bag on each shoulder. It was harder than carrying 1 bag at a time, but it was quicker and meant half the walking. After about a month, I tried carrying 75 kg at a time. I was strong enough to do it, but I tripped going up the fire escape and nearly put my back out so I decided to go back to carrying a 50 kg load.

It soon got me fit! :okay:

I couldn't do a fraction of that now.
Ha - I definitely CAN'T do a fraction of that now... I had to carry three 25 kg bags of cement up 5 steps then 25 metres along my sister's garden today. I found it hard work! I really must do more upper body exercise.

I have two 7.5 kg kettlebells which I could wave about if the inclination took me, which so far it has not! :whistle:
I have now moved them down to the kitchen. I couldn't be bothered to keep going upstairs to use them but now I can do a few reps every time I go into the kitchen to make a mug of tea, pot of coffee, whatever - kettlebells when boiling kettle! So far this afternoon I have done 4 x 5 reps. I could easily see myself doing 5 to 10 sets of reps most days without having to make any special effort. If/when it gets too easy I will buy some heavier kettlebells.
I have been doing 6 sets of 5 reps of bicep curls with the kettlebells since then. There has been a definite improvement there - 5 reps now feel no harder than 1 did when I started.

I was feeling quite good about that until I had a look in my nephew's home gym and discovered that he has been using 25 kg dumbbells, and he does many more reps too...

Perfect example a couple of days ago
I had an old marble fireplace I needed to get rid of - nice lady from the Siberian Husky rescue wanted it and came round in her van

I could only just lift the back plate thing as it was so heavy (it is solid rock!!) but it was only my hands and forearms that were the problem - once I got it somewhere where I could use my shoulders and legs I could move it just fine - otherwise I could never have got it out of the back door!

I do have something else that means I seldom even try to use what strength I have
I have 2 main qualities - I am lazy and I solve problems
Hence, if it looks like hard work I will try to find an easier way round it

which is why I have to wheeled trolley things - basically just thick plywood on wheels - so I can roll things round ratehr than carrying them
The marble fireplace got out to her car on wheels then we lifted it up from there

I did use the trolley thing at teh tip several months ago - had a broken bookcase that needed dumping (not repairable!) so I crammed it inot the car and chucked the trolley in just in case
Couln;t park near the wood skip at the tip so parked where I could - took the bookcase out and put it on the little trolley and started wheeling it up the line to the wood skip
Some big bloke came over and said "I'll do that mate" - picked up the bookcase and carried it off!!
I could actually have carried it myself - I just don;t see the point in hard work when I have a trolley that will take all the weight for me
Still that bloke probably felt all manly and can tell his mates down the pub how he helped this weakling!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some big bloke came over and said "I'll do that mate" - picked up the bookcase and carried it off!!
I could actually have carried it myself - I just don;t see the point in hard work when I have a trolley that will take all the weight for me
Still that bloke probably felt all manly and can tell his mates down the pub how he helped this weakling!

The big bailing machine at work has a spring loaded door which needs holding shut whilst the latch is screwed back. An alpha male type colleague would always offer to help if he saw me shutting the bailer door, and would march over and hold the door shut with a big manly lean-to stance. My toes are perfectly capable of holding the door shut because the spring isn't that strong... but every time... big manly stance as if he's trying to push a bus.

Top Bottom