Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I struggle to open a bag of crisps.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Too embarrassed to say.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Summat else.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I lived in France, we employed a member of the French Rugger team to lift wine barrels about, full, about 225 kg. He could genuinely hurt just giving a normal not showing off handshake.

GuyBoden

Guru
I did a lot of bench presses and leg presses etc in the weight lifting gym during my 20's-50's, I was reasonable, but others were much stronger. Now that I'm an old man, I don't do any weight lifting, I don't think lifting heavy weights is good for your joints.

My legs are basically muscle and strong. I can max out the seated leg press machine at 190kg and if I use the proper leg press I can press around 240kg.

Upper body I can bench press (flat) around 52/53kg and lat press around 30kg each side but ask me to do a pull up or muscle up and you’d be lucky to get 1!

I did a lot of bench presses and leg presses etc in the weight lifting gym during my 20's-50's, I was reasonable, but others were much stronger. Now that I'm an old man, I don't do any weight lifting, I don't think lifting heavy weights is good for your joints.
Depends what rep range I’d say but good for bone density.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I should have added that in my farming days I carried 10 stone bags of grain from the “big mill” up a flight of stairs to the storage loft. Try doing that all day after the normal milking, feeding and byre mucking out. :ohmy:
We normally just lifted one hundredweight bags from ground level on to out backs as well. Nowadays I struggle to even get them an inch off the ground.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
[
Sorry to break this to you, but they're probably only 32 kgs each. I only know as I bought 20 recently and think I overloaded my van. So you're a fifth less strong than you thought! ;)

QUOTE="cyberknight, post: 7032114, member: 4970"]
buncha wimps i once got hold of the old council slabs the 3x2 that comein at 64 kg each and had to carry them myself :smile:
[/QUOTE]

64 ÷ 2/3 = 40kg these were ex council flags!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, very, very light weights might be ok for old blokes (60+), depending on the condition of your joints, my knees are not good.
It is possible that your knees are not quite as badly damaged as you think that they are (unless you have had scans to prove otherwise)...

When I was about the same weight as you I was having terrible pains in my knees. I couldn't get up from an armchair without a great deal of discomfort. I couldn't walk downstairs facing forwards - I had to turn round and walk down backwards! Then I got ill and lost about 30 kg of weight (nearly 5 stone). Once I recovered from the illness and got active again I discovered that my knees had made a miraculous recovery!

Top Bottom