Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I struggle to open a bag of crisps.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Too embarrassed to say.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Summat else.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As for my strength... Legs fine from cycling and walking. Upper body very weedy!

I have a chin/dip station which I had been unable to use because I couldn't even manage 1 rep... :blush:

I was in Aldi a couple of weeks ago and they had flexy chin-up/pull-up assist straps. I bought a box of 3 and they enable me to do the amazing total of 2 chin-ups! :laugh:

I aim to keep using 3 straps until I can do 10 reps, then I will switch to 2 straps and repeat, then 1 strap, and finally stop using that last strap when I can do at least a couple of reps without it and then build up to 10 which I aim to do several times a day.

Using the chin/dip station regularly should give my upper body a big boost.

I have two 7.5 kg kettlebells which I could wave about if the inclination took me, which so far it has not! :whistle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm usually pretty good - I can do chin-ups, lots of press-ups, and move big things. I managed to wrench my back for the first time in 54 years last Sunday, though, carrying waterlogged bags of s**t down some steps. Can't keep them close to the body and there was no plank to wheel them down. Almost healed now but it was very painful.

Jameshow

Veteran
There are two thicknesses. Some are 2 inch (50mm) and some 38mm

Yeap 2" thick.... I had to take picture to remind my brother in law what he's got waiting for him when he returns from holiday at my parents house!🤣🤣

IMG-20230723-WA0004.jpeg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not strong at all these days, due to a certain fat scruffy git closing the gyms over 3 years ago, yet keeping take-aways open!:headshake: I was holding my fitness and strength together up till then by using the local authority gym 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, but when they closed them that was the start of my physical demise! I'd always been a physical job type worker, but after my hip then leg break I stopped work and kind of gave up. In my younger days I had weights and a bench at home. I'd do 150 pounds bench presses, 20 reps, 15 to 20 sets nearly every day, plus 50 pounds arm curls, 15 reps 15 sets. I'd struggle to lift minimal weights if I tried these days. As for my legs, they were never big, more racing snake like. Now the right one is shorter than the left one and 2 inches less in width at the top of the thigh. My neck head muscles aren't strong enough to hold my head up for long periods, so I have to prop my head up with my left hand after a while of standing. Apart from all that I think I'm ok, apart from the strength bit. My heart rate is only slightly higher than my 8000 miles a year cycling days and I'm still 10.5 stones 6 foot, though I might've shrunk a little.:okay:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My muscles are strong but damage easily, as does my connective tissue. I could lift something heavy but if lucky enough to avoid straining something, I'd be aching for 2 days after.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As for my strength... Legs fine from cycling and walking. Upper body very weedy!

I have a chin/dip station which I had been unable to use because I couldn't even manage 1 rep... :blush:

I was in Aldi a couple of weeks ago and they had flexy chin-up/pull-up assist straps. I bought a box of 3 and they enable me to do the amazing total of 2 chin-ups! :laugh:

I aim to keep using 3 straps until I can do 10 reps, then I will switch to 2 straps and repeat, then 1 strap, and finally stop using that last strap when I can do at least a couple of reps without it and then build up to 10 which I aim to do several times a day.

Using the chin/dip station regularly should give my upper body a big boost.

I have two 7.5 kg kettlebells which I could wave about if the inclination took me, which so far it has not! :whistle:

funnily enough pull up. well chin ups to be precise i find hard .We have a swing seat in the garden i use for doing them , i it on the seat and use the cross bar to pull up and back down to seated so technically not a full one ( dont tell mrs ck ;) ) i can do about 10 .Press ups are different i can do 40 - 50 .

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I was pretty strong in my 30s and 40s - could bench press 300lbs.
Age takes it's toll but, as I near 70, I'm still pretty strong and fit.

gbb

Legendary Member
Losing strength now. 65, I was always slim, wiry and strongish albeit with a lightly built upper body, fairly skinny arms etc. But never shied away from anything physical.
But now, OA is crippling me, I can't lift the grandkids, anything over say 10 to 15 kilos is the limit...and I will pay for it if I try.
DIY is something to avoid now, I can't sustain work either without constant aches for hours after.

Hicky

Guru
Strong enough to change a nappy while hungover….or isn’t that a measure of strength ?
Only really lifted when in my late teens and when on optour(to stave off boredom)….got to the point where I could do 20+ pull-ups fairly comfortably….legs, large and can lift/shift myself when needed.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Gyms are good strength builders for those that sit behind a computer for a living, but I find those that work manual jobs have better real world strength.

Builders, car mechanics, Gardeners et al often surprise me with how much loads they can move around.

The trade off is that years of physical work, often breaks their bodies in other ways - arthritis, back issues, etc.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Gyms are good strength builders for those that sit behind a computer for a living, but I find those that work manual jobs have better real world strength.

Builders, car mechanics, Gardeners et al often surprise me with how much loads they can move around.

The trade off is that years of physical work, often breaks their bodies in other ways - arthritis, back issues, etc.

pretty much where i am at , functional strength im good for my build after 35 years + of manual jobs im starting to struggle .

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Many years ago we had a new striker (Blacksmiths assistant/mate) and he was built like a brick build s***house I kid you not, anyway he was a good worker as most of all the work is very heavy so he should be good at it.
Well I was on a job called truss bars and the minimum weight is 84lbs, but some of the older bars dating back to early 50s were well over 100lb +, well you have to heat one end up to white heat and then carry it out the the power hammer holding it in the middle with your left hand as a fulcrum and pushing down with your right hand and you had to walk about 20 feet.
By the end of the day he was knacked, by the end of the week he handed his notice in as he said the work was too hard......of course he is used to lifting weights in a gym, but not all day/week and he said to me “I don't know how you do it as I'm twice as strong as you” at the time I only weighted 10.5 stone, I said “it's a knack and you ain't got it” he laughed out load and walked away.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm strong enough that a lot of people don't like doing ground fighting with me at ju jitsu.

And I can carry four full "bag for life" bags of shopping from Lidl or Sainsburys

Which is about as strong as I need to be these days.

Top Bottom