Countries you have visited and will never go back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Strange isn't it how we're all different... I adore India, I'm completely intoxicated by it every time I go. I do think it's a marmite sort of experience and people either seem to love it or hate it but I'm definitely the former. I even love Mumbai, it is an assault on the senses for sure, but so exhilarating.
Definately this 😁 Spent a lot of time in Asia when in my teens,free stop off on the way to Australia in the late 80s and I fell in love with Thailand and South East Asia in general.Easy travel great food and amazing people.Spent a year traveling through China where I went on to meet my partner so holds fonds memories.Tough country to travel though.But India is such a magical place when you get to catch your breath.First time I spent 5/6 months and then Nepal and the Himalayas for a month.Then went back for another 8 or so months.The country just gets under your skin ! In a good way.Varanasi,Calcutta have to be some of the maddest but best city's I've ever visited ! Too many good memories to mention but definately going to try and get back there for a big trip one day.Just got to convince my partner that the dirt/heat/poverty/40 hour train journeys are no big thing 😁

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Well, there's the distance first of all. It's pretty difficult to get Japanese or Costa Rican news on a regular basis, certainly without the languages.
Then there's the "need to know". It makes sense to be informed on what's going on with your neighbours, but the folks on the other side of town? Not so much.
Then there's simple good manners. It's polite to be able to refer to your neighbours as the "Bloggs" from #15 as opposed to them over there.

However, to arrive in Japan or Costa Rica without having made a basic effort to grasp a few customs and perhaps a phrase or two is quite poor form.

I'm sorry, I can't quite follow this. I'm assuming you're referring to England, Scotland & Wales? And tourists - Irish or otherwise?
The only thing that puzzled me was the money - different notes from different banks and the unpleasantness in trying to use Scottish (or Northern Irish) notes in England.

Interesting. I have never had a problem using Scottish Bank notes, in England.

stephec

Legendary Member
Neither have I. But then I reckon they're probably pretty common around the North East and Cumbria. Maybe it becomes more of an issue as you head south?

This.

Whenever I got one I'd try to get rid of it at either Tesco or Gregg's in Carlisle on the way home to save any later hassle.

Adam4868

Guru
I have even here in Blackpool that's full of Scottish this time of year.A lot of people don't like being given them in change etc.Same with some N Irish notes which are slightly more uncommon.Not that either stay long in my pockets ☹️

I'm sorry, I can't quite follow this. I'm assuming you're referring to England, Scotland & Wales? And tourists - Irish or otherwise?
The only thing that puzzled me was the money - different notes from different banks and the unpleasantness in trying to use Scottish (or Northern Irish) notes in England.

I don't think those of us who are, ourselves, from these off-shore islands - any of them! - are usually completely ignorant of the basics of our differences - and of our similarities - even if our only real knowledge is of a specific sport!

I am thinking more of tourists from further afield than what is understood by 'the home nations' in Rugby parlance, making visits to these nations - all of them! - who are often not at all 'informed' about or even aware of, any of the distinctions/divisions/differences - or the similarities! - between and among this bunch of small and even smaller islands.

DRM

Guru
This is a funny one, not funny ha ha, but funny strange as in Italy, we stayed in Pompeii, visited the ruins of Roman Pompeii, walked down into modern Pompeii several times, visited Sorrento, the Isle of Capri, and the ruins at Herculaneum, which were the better preserved of the two sites, would I go back, yes it was great, the people were great, you just had to be aware of the tourist price rises in restaurants etc, but we went on the train into Naples, my god never again, there were homeless people sleeping in the gutters at the square just outside the railway station, rubbish bags the length of the street chest high, an air of menace that had our nerves on edge that I’ve never experienced anywhere before, I was offered at least 10 stolen iPhones by dodgy blokes on street corners, someone had a go at pickpocketing my rucksack, good luck with that all it contained was a bottle of part frozen water and some tissues & wet wipes, we didn’t stay, stuck it for about an hour, went back to the station and decided to go to Sorrento again, as a finale I was watching an older man who was scoping women’s bags, pointing out suitable ones for his younger mate to pickpocket, they eventually left when they twigged they were being eyeballed and I knew exactly what they were up to, Naples, absolutely awful sh*thole, never again

scragend

This is a funny one, not funny ha ha, but funny strange as in Italy, we stayed in Pompeii, visited the ruins of Roman Pompeii, walked down into modern Pompeii several times, visited Sorrento, the Isle of Capri, and the ruins at Herculaneum, which were the better preserved of the two sites, would I go back, yes it was great, the people were great, you just had to be aware of the tourist price rises in restaurants etc, but we went on the train into Naples, my god never again, there were homeless people sleeping in the gutters at the square just outside the railway station, rubbish bags the length of the street chest high, an air of menace that had our nerves on edge that I’ve never experienced anywhere before, I was offered at least 10 stolen iPhones by dodgy blokes on street corners, someone had a go at pickpocketing my rucksack, good luck with that all it contained was a bottle of part frozen water and some tissues & wet wipes, we didn’t stay, stuck it for about an hour, went back to the station and decided to go to Sorrento again, as a finale I was watching an older man who was scoping women’s bags, pointing out suitable ones for his younger mate to pickpocket, they eventually left when they twigged they were being eyeballed and I knew exactly what they were up to, Naples, absolutely awful sh*thole, never again

That was my experience of Naples too. It was back in 2004 when I went with a couple of friends. We arrived by train and, in those no-smartphone days, went to the tourist information office in the station to see if they could find us some accommodation. The chap in there spent half an hour telling us lame jokes and showing us drawings of Prince Charles with satellite dishes for ears before he finally got round to doing his job. The hotel he found for us was quite a walk away and when we set off from the station I just remember thinking "what the hell kind of place is this?" I can still picture the rubbish and what felt like just out and out squalor.

When we came to check out of the hotel in the morning the old woman who ran the place was asleep on the couch and we couldn't wake her. We needed our passports back and wondered what we were going to do to get them, until I noticed them on a shelf behind the reception so I just went round and took them, and we went on our way. (We had paid on arrival)

Different parts of the city were better, particularly the parts overlooking the bay, but it's not a place I plan on going back to.

That was my experience of Naples too. It was back in 2004 when I went with a couple of friends. We arrived by train and, in those no-smartphone days, went to the tourist information office in the station to see if they could find us some accommodation. The chap in there spent half an hour telling us lame jokes and showing us drawings of Prince Charles with satellite dishes for ears before he finally got round to doing his job. The hotel he found for us was quite a walk away and when we set off from the station I just remember thinking "what the hell kind of place is this?" I can still picture the rubbish and what felt like just out and out squalor.

When we came to check out of the hotel in the morning the old woman who ran the place was asleep on the couch and we couldn't wake her. We needed our passports back and wondered what we were going to do to get them, until I noticed them on a shelf behind the reception so I just went round and took them, and we went on our way. (We had paid on arrival)

Different parts of the city were better, particularly the parts overlooking the bay, but it's not a place I plan on going back to.

My experience of Naples - rubbish and squalor - was similar and that was in 1974 ... I loved Herculaneum though, and would go back there like a shot.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
(After being faintly accused of being a xenophobe upthread, I've decided that I'm actually a Mexican petrophobe.) I've travelled a fair bit but the only time anybody actually nicked anything from me was when I was sleeping on the roof of a seedy flop house in Lahore in 1973. The miscreant stole the transistor radio from my rucksac. When I discovered, after a cup of tea, I reported it to the owner of the flop house and asked him the way to the local police station so that I could report the crime. He assured me he would take care of the matter on my behalf.
As if by a miracle, he produced my radio within five minutes. I would love to revisit.

ChrisKz

To me Brazil is the worst sh*thole on the planet . It was a good few years ago when i visited . I would probably get banned if I wrote an honest review of the place . Been all over Europe and been in 26 of the US States .. If I had a Favourite place I would say Missouri , just wide open spaces/ prairie etc .. The people are so nice and the way of life just suited me fine , along with the climate . Would love to go back , but in reality no chance of that , the long flight would just about kill me

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The bit about bank notes does remind me of when we had a shop. A cruise liner came in and all the passengers had Isle of Man banknotes.
It was the only time we ever made any money from a cruise ship as we were the only shop to accept their notes which were in fact legal tender in Scotland.

Brains

Legendary Member
Not read the entire thread, but it's interesting how the same places are mentioned multiple times.

I worked for 44 years in the maritime sector, which means I've worked on every continent except Antarctica.

There are few places I'd not go back to at all, even dumps can change over the years.
Some places I have no wish to return to are

Johannesburg: A major security issue all the time, driving from one security bubble to the next one. But I loved Cape Town.

IsraeL Amazing country, pity about the people.
I travelled over much of the country both on business and pleasure.
The IDS are an embarrassment to the nation, ill trained, bad attitude, racist thugs.
( I even had a few days with relatives in Haifa, so had local insite, but still think the IDS spoil the country)

Morocco: Tangier is a dump of the first order, one of the worst ports I've ever been to. (Rest of the country is OK though)

Jakarta: A smelly sinking dump

SHanghai: overcrowded.

Lima: Full of thieves

California: Full of cars

Carolina: No houses! Everyone seems to live in a mobile home

Venezuela: Serious security problem

New Delhi: The locals literally have $ signs in their eyes when they see you.

I could think of a few more, but that is a start

Chislenko

Veteran
Small deviation as I will go back once more, to pay some CGT and close bank account, but after that I can't see me ever visiting Portugal again.

Been that many times in last twenty years it just doesn't hold anything for me anymore.

Top Bottom