Countries you have visited and will never go back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same stuff as the people who describe the collection of Islands to the east of Ireland as "England" I suspect.

You mean those same folk who think that Scotland is in the north of England, I presume ?

november4

Angola, Nigeria, Congo, Ghana - that was enough to make me vow never to do Africa again. It was work so not in a tourist bubble, dangerous situations and mozzies

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
+1 for Malta

I have been to Malta twice and loved it. Especially the buses. I understand they have now changed to brand new buses and so Malta can make my list.

Kenya...spent a lot of time doing military things there. Still find red dust on some of my kit.

Egypt.... Great place to visit. But maybe I am not as patient with people as I once was 😁

Same stuff as the people who describe the collection of Islands to the east of Ireland as "England" I suspect.
^_^^_^

It's a bugbear of mine too!
I think most are well aware of the distinctions but "England" is shorthand because traditionally that is where the power lay.
Of course, that's all different now :becool:
You mean those same folk who think that Scotland is in the north of England, I presume ?

To be fair, most Irish people (if that's who you're referring to) are well aware of Scotland. We may be a bit blurry on where the border actually is but there's generally quite an affinity between the two, football/religion/politics notwithstanding.

^_^^_^

It's a bugbear of mine too!
I think most are well aware of the distinctions but "England" is shorthand because traditionally that is where the power lay.
Of course, that's all different now :becool:

To be fair, most Irish people (if that's who you're referring to) are well aware of Scotland. We may be a bit blurry on where the border actually is but there's generally quite an affinity between the two, football/religion/politics notwithstanding.

No, not the Irish - they are just as aware of the geography of Europe and its off-shore islands as any other European, I imagine!
I'm speaking, in general, about people from further afield. Funnily enough, though, the folks who are the very furthest afield of all don't seem to make quite as many mistakes about off-shore European island's geopolitics as some of the others!

Mind you, how well would the average Brit (or Irish person) do on the geopolitics of, say, Japan? What do we know of the internal organisation of Malaysia or Costa Rica?

I disagree, though, when you say that you think most (tourists) are well aware of the distinctions. IME, there are a great many who are indeed unaware and appear totally puzzled by distinctions between these very different countries which lie snuggled together, just offshore from the mainland!

No, not the Irish - they are just as aware of the geography of Europe and its off-shore islands as any other European, I imagine!
I'm speaking, in general, about people from further afield. Funnily enough, though, the folks who are the very furthest afield of all don't seem to make quite as many mistakes about off-shore European island's geopolitics as some of the others!

Mind you, how well would the average Brit (or Irish person) do on the geopolitics of, say, Japan? What do we know of the internal organisation of Malaysia or Costa Rica?

I disagree, though, when you say that you think most (tourists) are well aware of the distinctions. IME, there are a great many who are indeed unaware and appear totally puzzled by distinctions between these very different countries which lie snuggled together, just offshore from the mainland!

Certainly Germans seemed to become aware of Scotland as a country in itself in 2014.

People need to chill a little. Many of the observations are spot on even though it paints an adverse view. Virtue signalling has no place where genuine and honest views are sort.

Someone visiting the same country can hold an adverse view and while another might hold a gushing positive view and they both can be right.

What is important is exchanging experiences and expressing them in an honest and sincere manner even if it means saying that immigration and Police are corrupt or the sanitation is wanting. Interestingly many of these places are visited by those in the know because they have a spectacular feature or provide an unusual experience that must be on the bucket list.

I always enjoyed @KnittyNorah, @CanucksTraveller and others like them as they provide an unvarnished version of what they experienced and you can clearly see there is no malice intended. Many of the destinations mirror where I have been and it resonates.

And believe me the World is made up of the nicest people just that they are poorly governed and or exploited by a tiny minority in their own community. Crimes and bad behaviour is more pronounced in some countries than others and that's a fact. No need to throw your toys out of the cot just because you been there and do not agree with published statistics and established facts.

Do not be intimidated by claims of ignorance and having very narrow view etc. Most people can work out what is said in malice, jest or just straight shooting.

We should not miss the opportunity to glean more information from those who have seen the wider world.

Back to the UK and Slough as an example. It holds the most UK Head offices of multi-national corporations and many are well known. Yet it is a relative residential dump compared so many other places. It is the result of certain dynamics. Pussyfooting around to please someone is not being honest to yourself.

And never ever let anyone spell things out for you out of fear or the need to fit in.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
People need to chill a little. Many of the observations are spot on even though it paints an adverse view. Virtue signalling has no place where genuine and honest views are sort.

Someone visiting the same country can hold an adverse view and while another might hold a gushing positive view and they both can be right.

What is important is exchanging experiences and expressing them in an honest and sincere manner even if it means saying that immigration and Police are corrupt or the sanitation is wanting. Interestingly many of these places are visited by those in the know because they have a spectacular feature or provide an unusual experience that must be on the bucket list.

I always enjoyed @KnittyNorah, @CanucksTraveller and others like them as they provide an unvarnished version of what they experienced and you can clearly see there is no malice intended. Many of the destinations mirror where I have been and it resonates.

And believe me the World is made up of the nicest people just that they are poorly governed and or exploited by a tiny minority in their own community. Crimes and bad behaviour is more pronounced in some countries than others and that's a fact. No need to throw your toys out of the cot just because you been there and do not agree with published statistics and established facts.

Do not be intimidated by claims of ignorance and having very narrow view etc. Most people can work out what is said in malice, jest or just straight shooting.

We should not miss the opportunity to glean more information from those who have seen the wider world.

Back to the UK and Slough as an example. It holds the most UK Head offices of multi-national corporations and many are well known. Yet it is a relative residential dump compared so many other places. It is the result of certain dynamics. Pussyfooting around to please someone is not being honest to yourself.

And never ever let anyone spell things out for you out of fear or the need to fit in.

Before you use 'virtue signaling' as a term of abuse please consider what the opposite says about a person and the zero chance of being able to say that on here .

Well, there's the distance first of all. It's pretty difficult to get Japanese or Costa Rican news on a regular basis, certainly without the languages.
Then there's the "need to know". It makes sense to be informed on what's going on with your neighbours, but the folks on the other side of town? Not so much.
Then there's simple good manners. It's polite to be able to refer to your neighbours as the "Bloggs" from #15 as opposed to them over there.

However, to arrive in Japan or Costa Rica without having made a basic effort to grasp a few customs and perhaps a phrase or two is quite poor form.

I'm sorry, I can't quite follow this. I'm assuming you're referring to England, Scotland & Wales? And tourists - Irish or otherwise?
The only thing that puzzled me was the money - different notes from different banks and the unpleasantness in trying to use Scottish (or Northern Irish) notes in England.

Virtue signalling has no place where genuine and honest views are sort.
Before I reply properly can you quote a post or two of this virtue signalling?

No need to throw your toys out of the cot just because you been there and do not agree with published statistics and established facts.
To whom are you referring here? Please quote a post.

Didn't your good self recently say ...?

One thing I learnt late in life is don’t over-plan. Second is not to preach.

Do not be intimidated by claims of ignorance

Pussyfooting around to please someone is not being honest to yourself.

Perhaps a little practicing what you preach may be in order? :becool:

Thank you

Top Bottom