Countries you have visited and will never go back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member

Good dancing, but they would not have liked that either. Esp if they had limey accents. Which always amuses me as Americans think it's quite an insult. :laugh:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
About the only country I've been to, that I'm not sure I want to return is Nepal.

I visited as a young man 47 years ago and spent five months one winter walking a sizeable proportion of its length. It was a formative experience of my life and I'm not sure if I returned, what I would feel about in crowds, road development, growing inequality, etc. Perhaps better to head to somewhere I still haven't been.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
About the only country I've been to, that I'm not sure I want to return is Nepal.

I visited as a young man 47 years ago and spent five months one winter walking a sizeable proportion of its length. It was a formative experience of my life and I'm not sure if I returned, what I would feel about in crowds, road development, growing inequality, etc. Perhaps better to head to somewhere I still haven't been.

I was there a couple of years earlier. The trouble with going back to exotic countries is that they never seem to be quite as lovely as the last time you visited. That seems to be the inevitable effect of tourism. It somehow destroys some of the magic, and we have only ourselves to blame.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
I was there a couple of years earlier. The trouble with going back to exotic countries is that they never seem to be quite as lovely as the last time you visited.

I am expecting southern Ireland to be the same next month. I am certain i will be drinking less and so the shades of green won't stand out so well. Plus the EU funds will have ruined all those fun little roads and made them fast and comfortable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I am expecting southern Ireland to be the same next month. I am certain i will be drinking less and so the shades of green won't stand out so well. Plus the EU funds will have ruined all those fun little roads and made them fast and comfortable.

In 1973, you could (entirely legally) buy a large lump of hashish from the Government hash shop in Durbar Square, Kathmandu. That may have had something to do with how exotic the country looked to me at the time.

East Germany (OK, I can't go back). Soldiers/Police (hard to tell the difference) shouting at you for taking a photograph of a lake. Being timed while driving from West Germany to Berlin. Go too fast - speeding ticket, go too slow - must be a spy. Unbelievable paranoia and hatred of Americans. Incredible dump. I don't remember what West Germany paid for it but if it was more than 100 DM it was too much.

Beat me to it by 5 minutes. :laugh:

It has changed a bit in the last 23 years.

stephec

Legendary Member
In 1973, you could (entirely legally) buy a large lump of hashish from the Government hash shop in Durbar Square, Kathmandu. That may have had something to do with how exotic the country looked to me at the time.

Had you been smoking something exotic before you decided that Kathmandu was in Southern Ireland? 😅

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
We were in Dresden a good few years back now and the Mrs. loved the older type buildings (presumably a lot had been recreated)

Good point. An American employee in my company was recently asked to do a piece on the company Intranet about her favourite city (Munich), a chance to show off her knowledge of her expertise of her most loved destination.
She opined at length about the historic buildings and architecture, how well preserved and original it all is and how it's been so well looked after given its age. I've not had the heart to tell her what the Royal Air Force did in the way of rearranging one of Hitlers bastions of Naziism, and the reconstruction that had to follow in the later decades. Beautiful and historic looking, yes. Original, no.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was born in Zambia and lived there for the first five years of my life. It was very sunny. However, I do not feel the urge to go back. I think it was actually a pretty dangerous place in the late 60s and 70s. I don't remember it, but apparently our bungalow had a safe room, and we had to retreat there once while the house was being burgled. What used to worry me as a small boy was the drumming. The television showed episodes of Tarzan, the series with the chimpanzee confusingly called Cheetah. Every time the natives attacked it was preceded by drumming. Back in England in the mid to late 70s Zambia was in the news quite a bit, usually for white farmers being murdered if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Not sure I would go back to Koh Samui these days, it was paradise 30 years ago before the airport arrived ... now look at it?
the-main-street-of-chaweng-beach-ko-samui-thailand-C6F3KB.jpg

He didn't actually say it was a country.

As a geographical description (OK, "southern" rather than "Southern"), it's perfectly legitimate.

Well, the topic is "Countries......."

The post I quoted used a capital S and a capital I suggesting some kind of official title as opposed to a geographical description.

I think you understand the point I was making, no? I was trying to keep it light and humourous.

Having lived and worked in Donegal many years ago I was always amused by British tourists heading to the most northerly point of the island of Ireland which for them was in Southern Ireland. ^_^
Mind you we had great fun sending out American tourists on Leprechaun hunts too^_^

Top Bottom