Countries you have visited and will never go back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Counted it up last night and I've been to 13 countries and various Spanish islands. The only place I would never go back to is Rome. Too many beggars and pick pockets (people getting closer than was necessary until they were aware I was watching them) and locals being very clear they wanted your money and not you. Vatican was interesting but that's it. I'm sure the rest of Italy is good. YMMV.

I've been to 17 countries (counting all the Greek islands and mainland as one, and similarly Spain & islands as one and Portugal & Madeira as one).

There are none where I have felt unwelcome or that I would hesitate to return to out of fear or dislike. There are 2-3 that I almost certainly won't revisit just because I've seen most of what I want to from that place, and there are many places I haven't yet visited.

But we have tended to avoid major cities most of the time. The only major city I've spent more than a day in while away is Barcelona, and that was only because my daughter was there on a term-long exchange trip from university. Oh, and San Francisco, but that was a work trip to Oracle HQ.

mikeIow

Guru
Counted it up last night and I've been to 13 countries and various Spanish islands. The only place I would never go back to is Rome. Too many beggars and pick pockets (people getting closer than was necessary until they were aware I was watching them) and locals being very clear they wanted your money and not you. Vatican was interesting but that's it. I'm sure the rest of Italy is good. YMMV.

Ironically, Rome is a place I would happily return to, having been a couple of times. Last time stayed in a tiny but very nice Airbnb a block away from the Pantheon, a beautiful edifice in a beautiful ancient city!
We had a fine experience in Rome, about 5 years ago.
A work pal had his phone nicked in Barcelona, las Ramblas…but then I had mine stolen in Maidenhead many years back. I’m looking forward to revisiting Barcelona next spring on an Interrail trek….as in many cities, keep your wits about you, especially in popular tourist spots.
There are beggars in many, many cities, here and abroad. It is sad, but a fairly global issue.

Agreed on the fact that all the comments here are based on our own often very narrow experiences. Pleased to see Hobbes stand up for Mexico: I have no local knowledge to add on that one. I’ve seen a LOT of the US over the past 40 years - over 30 states in one summer when I was 18! There is some amazing scenery and many lovely people across all of it. Again, as with many places, there are some parts of some cities it might not be wise to wander into, but I wouldn’t hesitate to revisit any of the spots I visited and worked at!

I was there for six weeks in 1977. The level of violence hasn't exactly improved in the interim....
I understand that and the real shame is that there is little optimism for any improvement.
My attitude to illegal drugs has changed sharply since visiting that part of the world.

Have you had rocks chucked at you? Believe me, it doesn't endear you to a place
I've had worse (not in México) and while I may not likely return to those cities or towns I don't make the country pay for the sins of a few.
In fact, after being robbed at gunpoint in one particular city my strategy to cope with the trauma was to head out into the countryside where I knew the people would remove the lingering fear and anxiety.
It worked!

I apologise for describing the country as a shithole.
Very few people ever apologise on the internet so that took some bravery. Well done and as they say in México "gracias".

Petrichorwheels

Of course there are those with ill-intent who prey on tourists everywhere in the world and in some places they seem to be bolder, or have more free rein, than in other places, more's the pity.

I rather like Morocco, but I speak (or used to speak - not used it for a few years) reasonable conversational Arabic, and I think that is a huge factor that plays in my advantage.

I went over to Morocco for the first time when I was visiting a QARNS friend stationed in Gib; they were 'warned off' going especially alone or in all-female small groups but having lived in Saudi Arabia through most of the 70s I wasn't going to be put off, so as Sue had leave, we went. We travelled all over the country by bus and train without the slightest problem. Well, I say 'without the slightest problem' BUT I made Sue dress appropriately when 'in public' which was far more covered than she had expected, and always asked where stuff like the 'family section' was in cafes and the 'women's seats' on the bus. So we (somewhat) avoided labelling ourselves.

When some young blokes started harassing us when we were lost in a souk, I turned to them, hands on hips and asked them, in Arabic (in what I was later told was a very educated 'university' accent!) how they would like their sisters and mothers to be spoken to like that.

They were stunned. They looked at each other and said to each other 'she speaks Arabic!' and I retorted 'Yes I do, why are you so surprised? I understand it too. Someone once told me the Maghrebi were not as polite as true Arabs and now I think maybe they were right.'

Long story cut short, we ended up being entertained by their mothers and sisters every day for the few days we were in Marrakesh! Ridiculous but that's the way it is ... although the technology which surrounds us may be 21st century, outside the boundaries of the hotel, cultural and behavioural expectations have not maintained pace in massive, probably most, parts of the world.

A friend, 20 years younger than me, who is a keen cyclist, planned to go on a cycling holiday to Morocco by herself in 2015, so I sat her down and gave her a lecture about clothing and behaviour when off her bike, and made her promise to me that before she cycled through any town or stopped in any village or even a farmhouse, before she got off her bike she WOULD put on a mid-calf length wrap-around skirt and a loose, very thin, cotton shawl over her head, shoulders and upper arms. She thanked me when she came back; she said she initially thought what I had said was ridiculous but after after her first day she thought she'd try my instructions and said they were a great success.

Morocco is also I gather a destination for female sex tourists. I know a woman who went and sent me an email back with wonder about the number of offers of sex she had had in no time at all. This so impressed her that soon afterwards she made a return visit with a female friend and told me *** (name of pal) got lots of attention as well. This was reported back to me positively, though have no idea what her pal thought of the situation/interactions - never met her. I know another well travelled woman who has certain views about women, particularly those of a certain age, who are flattered by this attention. Couldn't possibly repeat what she said to me.
Not getting at you I stress Nora, nor excusing harrassment/assault. But it's a funny old world.
Never been to Morocco myself I stress. Have heard tales of throwing stones at cyclists being considered an innocent sport by some youngsters but no idea if true.
On the main thread title, can't think of anywhere I've been put off to not want to return though am not terribly well travelled.
there are some places I have avoided/have little wish to go though.

Petrichorwheels

Counted it up last night and I've been to 17 countries and various Spanish islands. The only place I would never go back to is Rome. Too many beggars and pick pockets (people getting closer than was necessary until they were aware I was watching them) and locals being very clear they wanted your money and not you. Vatican was interesting but that's it. I'm sure the rest of Italy is good. YMMV.

Rome is an amazing place to visit I think, but I wouldn't want to live there at all.
Notoriously bad local admin (may have improved - there were certrain attempts to tackle it) with it being a toss up whether the issues are due to corruption or sheer ineptitude. Probably a mix, leaning towards the first.
Also strikes me that it can be a bit of a hellhole in summer if you live there.
I was robbed on a Rome bus once but what they got was worthless.
I also had someone try the newspaper trick on me on the street and if they had been successful they would have near cleaned me out. Luckily I was with a local who knew what was happening and pushed/body swerved me away.
But if you thought Rome bad, Vatican far far worse IMHO :smile:
but I would recommend anyone pay a shortish visit to Rome at least once in their life.

Venod

Eh up
I like Italy so can't say I will never go back, but I can see if your only experience is Naples and are a bit timid you won't set foot in the country again, but I like a bit of rough with the smooth, so Naples was OK for me.

Petrichorwheels

I like Italy so can't say I will never go back, but I can see if your only experience is Naples and are a bit timid you won't set foot in the country again, but I like a bit of rough with the smooth, so Naples was OK for me.

ah naples - been a few times - city of extremes for sure - a cholera outbreak in the 70s and other problems which made it the shame of Italy - there are some shocking photos.
Lots of memories - late one night a guy asking in an apparently friendly way if I was english and when I said I was repeatedly tried to trip me up. Very odd.
Once as a naive youngster wandering the backstreets one old guy sitting outside a shop asked me if I wanted to work on a ship.
Naples was once a contender to become the Italian capital - told an Italian this once and they scoffed with contempt - but it's true.
I really must go back before I die. Or to die.
Don't mention the camorra of course.

Jameshow

Veteran
As a Bradfordian, I shouldn’t, but it was hard not to chuckle at this. I went to Rotherham once. All I remember was being happy at joining the M1 to go home.

M606 south is the best part of Bradford and the most useless motorway in the world at the same time!!

ExBrit

Über Member
East Germany (OK, I can't go back). Soldiers/Police (hard to tell the difference) shouting at you for taking a photograph of a lake. Being timed while driving from West Germany to Berlin. Go too fast - speeding ticket, go too slow - must be a spy. Unbelievable paranoia and hatred of Americans. Incredible dump. I don't remember what West Germany paid for it but if it was more than 100 DM it was too much.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
East Germany (OK, I can't go back). Soldiers/Police (hard to tell the difference) shouting at you for taking a photograph of a lake. Being timed while driving from West Germany to Berlin. Go too fast - speeding ticket, go too slow - must be a spy. Unbelievable paranoia and hatred of Americans. Incredible dump. I don't remember what West Germany paid for it but if it was more than 100 DM it was too much.

Beat me to it by 5 minutes. :laugh:

Morocco is also I gather a destination for female sex tourists. I know a woman who went and sent me an email back with wonder about the number of offers of sex she had had in no time at all. This so impressed her that soon afterwards she made a return visit with a female friend and told me *** (name of pal) got lots of attention as well. This was reported back to me positively, though have no idea what her pal thought of the situation/interactions - never met her. I know another well travelled woman who has certain views about women, particularly those of a certain age, who are flattered by this attention. Couldn't possibly repeat what she said to me.
Not getting at you I stress Nora, nor excusing harrassment/assault. But it's a funny old world.
Never been to Morocco myself I stress. Have heard tales of throwing stones at cyclists being considered an innocent sport by some youngsters but no idea if true.
On the main thread title, can't think of anywhere I've been put off to not want to return though am not terribly well travelled.
there are some places I have avoided/have little wish to go though.
In my 20s and 30s, Spain and Italy were definitely harder 'work' as a single female traveller, ridding myself of constant pesky buzzing 'flies', than was eg Jordan or Morocco. Almost certainly because of the way I spoke Arabic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom