Countries you have visited and will never go back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Another one extremely unlikely to return to Tunisia. Also Malta, think we exhausted everything we wanted to see in one trip.

Not likely to go back to Singapore either, where I lived for 18 months when my dad was stationed there with the RAF.

Can't honestly see going back to Mexico while my wife is alive either, it is a bit too long in a plane for her now.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks folks, reading through this thread is saving me a fortune. All foreign travel plans now axed! I've seen what I've wanted to see of the world anyway. Going to buy a motorbike instead, to replace the one I sold in May, and go touring a bit more local (but not so local that it can be done by pedal power, obviously). :smile:

A couple of people i know from Glasgow did a round the world bike tour about 10 years back; Canada, USA, NZ, Australia, Vietnam, Burma, India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey... etc. According to them, by far the friendliest locals were in Iran.

I don't think there's anywhere I've been that i wouldn't go back to.

If you are read the travelogs of cyclists crisscrossing the world, Iran was singularly picked for sexual harassment of women cyclists as the worst. So much so that the touring cycling community arranges for male cycling companions to partner female solo cyclists via social media messaging and these are done at backpacking hotels enroute.

Remarkably Iranian hospitality of offering food and a room was considered one of the best. The whole family as well extended families are called for the "feast".

Reactions: ACF

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Yugoslavia

(A country not recognised by my spell checker)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Not a country but an island - Crete. Filthy.
Ibiza's another one. Slim pickings on the cycling front and unless you're under 30 and have a liking for stimulants, avoid.

AndyRM

XOXO
Turkey, specifically Icmeler, which I know is a touristy place and should have known it wouldn't really be my thing but it was cheap. Fabulous scenery, and weather but there were things I just found off-putting, specifically the waiter at a restaurant who laughed when my wife at the time settled up when it came to paying the bill.

As far as Turkey (Türkiye) goes I wouldn’t go back to any of the resorts but the Istanbul Marathon is on my bucket list and I therefore plan to that city again.

The Istanbul Marathon is the only intercontinental marathon in the world as it starts in the Asian side of the city and crosses the 15 July Martyrs Bridge to finish in the European side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom