Country lanes in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajp233

Über Member
Got back to regularly commuting in late July this year and have been loving it (15 miles each way). Around 80% of my commute is on quiet country roads and during yesterday's commute, going round a bend my bike came out from under me and I crashed. It was a frosty morning and overnight rain had left the lanes particularly slippery. After getting back on my bike, there were another 4 occasions where my bike was very close to skidding out from under me.

Consequently I was quite shook up and spooked when I finally arrived at work. A colleague gave me a lift home and I've driven in today.

Is it foolhardy to continue to try and commute to work over the winter months through country lanes? Any recommendations on steps I can take to prevent further incidents?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spiked tyres on a spare bike or wheelset. If you've never heard of them google it, they are amazing fun.

Slartibartfast

Über Member
Could be you tyres. In Winter I use gp 4 seasons which I find give excellent grip in the conditions we have at the moment. Slowing down a little on some bends will also help. Also, if you need to brake, brake before the turn not when you're in it. You only need spikes when it's actually icy imo.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Can your bike take 38mm tyres? Get the Continental top winter contact tyres. After a while of winter commuting you'll get a feel for where frost patches and black ice form. Also take a look at your local councils winter gritting routes to see if your commute roads are being gritted.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to switch to Schwalbe Snow Studs on my old MTB on frosty or icy days, rather than the road bike. I've come off on ice and it's no fun. I don't cycle commute now, but the tyres still go on around now for icy off road rides, and I also have Ice Spikers for my full suspension, which are an absolute hoot and exceptionally noisy - I wouldn't want a commute on ice spikers though - over 376 spikes in each tyre. You want some with the spikes around the edge of the tread for commuting - Marathon Winters are a good compromise.

OP
OP
ajp233

ajp233

Über Member
My bike is the stock Planet X London Road Apex 1 with 28mm Vittoria Revolution Tech G+ Rigid Tyres. Thanks @YukonBoy - I'll take a look at those Conti tyres

vickster

Legendary Member
Slow down. Allow extra time for commute to take into account. 15 minutes less in bed is nothing compared to broken bones

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I would recommend persisting with your comute on bike. Take the corners slowly and build up speed over time on those you feel are unlikely to have ice. Good advice above ref tyres, if it were me personally I would try running my current tyres at a lower pressure and see if that helps to start with. Elbow/knee pads and a helmet are options too.

contadino

Veteran
Do spikes help with wet leaves? My back wheel has come out from under me twice over the last week. It has wtb all road tyres but I've been looking to change them anyway because I've had a few punctures. Wet leaves on gravel, no problem. Wet leaves on tarmac, urk!

Sharky

Guru
I've been a victim to black ice, resulting in a fractured pelvis. Now if there is any danger of ice, I dont go out on the bike. Get a thermometer and if it's below say 5 degrees, think twice. I check my car windscreen as well. If there is still frost on the screen, then its no ride.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I tried a Conti winter tyre on the front and found that it did offer a noticable improvement in grip (over a Voyager Hyper) in wet, slimy winter conditions.

It won't grip properly on ice but it did add a tiny bit of grip - enough that I could pedal a straight line down an icy road without slipping to the side due to the camber. If you hit ice in a corner you'll still likely come off though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do spikes help with wet leaves? My back wheel has come out from under me twice over the last week. It has wtb all road tyres but I've been looking to change them anyway because I've had a few punctures. Wet leaves on gravel, no problem. Wet leaves on tarmac, urk!
I think tyre width and tread makes more difference to leaf slime/mulch than the spikes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've been a victim to black ice, resulting in a fractured pelvis. Now if there is any danger of ice, I dont go out on the bike. Get a thermometer and if it's below say 5 degrees, think twice. I check my car windscreen as well. If there is still frost on the screen, then its no ride.
Is your work OK with you not going in due to moderately cold temperatures then?

Top Bottom