Country lanes in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
After having my wheels slide from under me a couple of times on icy roads I recommend Marathon Winter tyres, as others have above. Not had an off with these ever, and they have enable me to get into work by riding carefully, when many drivers have stayed at home.

Apart from spiked ice tyred (eg Marathon Winter), you should also pay attention to microclimates on your route. There are always spots that are a few degrees cooler due to shade or dips where cold air sinks and collects. Take note if the road in these cold spots has any dangerous camber or slick surface in normal temperatures.
Ice or heavy frost may form in cold spots when the rest of your route is clear.

What do people think about hip protection? You can get special hip protection padding or even that high tech stuff that turns from get to solid under impact, as used in American Football.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Apart from spiked ice tyred (eg Marathon Winter), you should also pay attention to microclimates on your route. There are always spots that are a few degrees cooler due to shade or dips where cold air sinks and collects. Take note if the road in these cold spots has any dangerous camber or slick surface in normal temperatures.
Ice or heavy frost may form in cold spots when the rest of your route is clear.
Won't taking notes while riding make you even more likely to fall over?

What do people think about hip protection? You can get special hip protection padding or even that high tech stuff that turns from get to solid under impact, as used in American Football.
I think that still seems like trying to deal with the symptoms instead of the sickness. Unless they make suits out of that stuff, you're leaving limbs at risk. Just fit spiked tyres. Alternatively, you could commute in this and hope you don't land bending any limb too badly:
2993982556_abfa4719e4_z-Thirteen-Of-Clubs-225x300.jpg

Copyright Thirteen Of Clubs under CC-by-SA 2.0

I think that still seems like trying to deal with the symptoms instead of the sickness. Unless they make suits out of that stuff, you're leaving limbs at risk. Just fit spiked tyres. Alternatively, you could commute in this and hope you don't land bending any limb too badly:
View attachment 491429
A broken hip is far more serious than a limb injury and seems to be one of the typical injuries of a high speed spill.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A broken hip is far more serious than a limb injury and seems to be one of the typical injuries of a high speed spill.
My wheels slid out from under me once as I executed a smooth right turn into a side road. Took ages for the lump on my hip to go down and I had a limp for a week. This was on oil - not on ice..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They do but of all the typical high speed spill injuries, broken pelvis is one of the more serious and life changing.
I'd still rather aim to prevent than mitigate. I'd expect hip pads to abrade you while riding, too. If they were worth much, racers would be using them and taking the sweet sweet sponsor cash.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

View attachment 491429
storm trooper ? you will not hit anything at least on a bike :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My biggest concern regarding country lanes in the winter is idiot drivers presuming only cars will be using the lanes at night. A couple of years ago, cycling home from my sister's on Xmas day I was faced with a car taking the racing line around a bend. I guess they assumed the road was clear because they didn't see a car's full beam ahead of them. :cursing: Thankfully my very bright Cree light did mark me out in the last few seconds and I didn't get hit... but it was chuffing scary. This year I'll leave well before sundown.

Top Bottom