County matters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do a lot of posting orders and many people omit their county from the address. In these modern days of postcode technology we don't actually need counties. I even know of some people in Yorkshire who omit the county name from the delivery address.
Do you use a county, does it matter. With unitary authorities, some cities now act as counties and some counties are so amalgamated, i have trouble placing them on the map.
Counties: do they matter. Discuss...

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
No because the Royal Mail use the postcode rather than the county. If you don't know the postcode probably put the county on, it will still get delivered. My mum is infamous for putting the most sketchy addresses and somehow Royal Mail still find it.

I highly doubt anyone from Yorkshire would pass up the chance to highlight they are from Yorkshire. My experience is they are desperate to say it in even the most slightly relevant conversation. And even though Yorkshire tea is horrible.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In postage terms no, they don't matter as long as the post code is correct, but I tend to use them to be safe, especially for places such as Ashford. Some poeple are very attached to their counties on the emotional side of things.

I must say, in my line of work (mapping) the UK admin/postal structure with regards to counties is one of the most complicated on earth.

I highly doubt anyone from Yorkshire would pass up the chance to highlight they are from Yorkshire. My experience is they are desperate to say it in even the most slightly relevant conversation. And even though Yorkshire tea is horrible.

I'll invariably put 'West Riding of Yorkshire', even though that disappeared in the 1974 boundary changes

Yorkshire Tea. Horrible, you surely jest!
Digressing slightly, have you seen this yet??
Gold for Alistair, but surely the 'Stop/Go' penalty, with the forklift, should have been Jonny? (London 2012 reference)

A postcode and house number (and nothing else) should be all you need to post a letter. Give it a try.
I know that can work in urban areas, but maybe not very rural areas?? (too large a post-code coverage)

robjh

Legendary Member
The county in the postal address may bear no relation to the administrative county that the address is actually in. There are some villages in south Leicestershire that come under the Nuneaton postcode area of CV13, and therefore have a recommended postal address of Warwickshire.

Then there is the (still) vexed question of all the outer London boroughs that ceased being in Surrey, Kent, Middlesex etc in all but postal senses in 1965, but many of whose residents still haven't realised that.

Actually, I've just checked the post office's own postcode finder and it appears not to use counties at all.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I alway put Hampshire and postcode

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Even in Norfolk, which benefits by being surrounded by water on all sides except for a small gap, the Diss postcodes were IP22 (Ipswich) rather than NR.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Being a bit of a pedant I do get slightly flustered when "county" is compulsory on an order form yet Bristol is not allowed on the pick list. I am then forced to pick the wrong county to place my order since Bristol is a county in its own right these days

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Being a bit of a pedant I do get slightly flustered when "county" is compulsory on an order form yet Bristol is not allowed on the pick list. I am then forced to pick the wrong county to place my order since Bristol is a county in it's own right these days

I guess that depends if they care were you live lieutenancy or administratively - neither of which matter to send a parcel.

Top Bottom