Couple of weeks in France/Holland May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
So I guess you are not going to be riding in the Picos or the Basque country at all then, two beautiful areas?

Funnily enough I have done some cycling in the Picos (but not carrying camping gear) and as you say it’s a beautiful area. As this is going to be my first long cycle tour I was looking at breaking myself in gently. Guess I just need to man up !

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
All of the posts on this thread refer to France!
As you say you have already visited the north of France, why not explore Holland this time?
From the Hook you could follow the LF1 north or south, or take the Rhine Radweg to take you directly inland.

I hadn’t thought about the Rhine Radweg, That’s maybe another option to look at

Funnily enough I have done some cycling in the Picos (but not carrying camping gear) and as you say it’s a beautiful area. As this is going to be my first long cycle tour I was looking at breaking myself in gently. Guess I just need to man up !
You've just got to get used to the idea you'll be going slower than on an unladen, light bike, just make sure you have gearing to suit!

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
Just a word of thanks for all the helpful advice on this and a brief update. My two to three week pass has been extended, and I plan on getting a ferry to Santander in mid May and cycling (probably very slowly) back to one of the channel ports. Hopefully I'll be in state to post a brief ride report when I get back !

Crankarm

Guru
Just a word of thanks for all the helpful advice on this and a brief update. My two to three week pass has been extended, and I plan on getting a ferry to Santander in mid May and cycling (probably very slowly) back to one of the channel ports. Hopefully I'll be in state to post a brief ride report when I get back !

Brittany Ferries are not cheap and certainly not to Santander. Their website does not accept bicycles as a means of transport unless they have since changed it.

If you want flat after riding the Picos and across the Pyrenees then there are the flatlands of the Landes and also the Canal du Midi.

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
Agree not the cheapest, but splitting cost with someone, so not that bad. At least it means I can then hopefully make my way back totally under my own steam, rather than rely on French trains (if they are working) for part of the journey which was the plan at one stage. I get a nice cruise as well - although the Bay of Biscay isn’t quite the Caribbean !

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
I've still got the guide books for the Radweg somewhere. Let me know if you want to borrow them.
Thanks for the kind offer. I'm now fixed on Spain/France for this year and don't think I'll be able to get away for another long one later in the year. Definitely one for me to look at for later though

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
Just an update on this, sent from a windy campsite in Saint Jean de Luz. Crossed the Spanish/ French border today after cycling from Santander earlier in the week. It’s been a memorable few days, with quite a few hard hills, but fantastic scenery. Now just France to cross !

suzeworld

Veteran
Not got time to read the full account but I have been wondering about touring next year. So I will study it later.
Yes
How did you meet Tim? In here?

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
Not got time to read the full account but I have been wondering about touring next year. So I will study it later.
Yes
How did you meet Tim? In here?

Hi Sorry for the delay in replying - various things have kept me off this forum for a while. Met Tim on the CTC forum, his mate who was due to go with him had been taken ill, so he had a berth on Ferry spare so we hooked up. It's been a few months since the tour, but still look back on it really fondly, would do all over again despite the poor weather in France. Need to plan next year now !

gizmo1994

Great ride report and very inspirational We live near the Francette around Niort and remember the rubbish weather we had end of May into June this year. Such a shame as we have just experienced the longest and warmest summer here for many a year. The weather hasn't been bad since your epic journey.

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
In some ways it was probably better than doing the whole trip in blazing sunshine. Certainly created some memories and in the end we just found the relentless bad weather funny ! Guess its the British sense of humour. I might plan another tour in France for next May, fingers crossed it might be a bit drier

Top Bottom