Couriers - are they all shoot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
DPD, received an email the day before delivery specifying the timeslot in which the goods were going to be delivered. Received a second email on the day of delivery confirming that timeslot and that the goods were on their way. Goods arrives at the start of the time slot.

I couldn't ask for more.

IncoherentJeff

DPD, received an email the day before delivery specifying the timeslot in which the goods were going to be delivered. Received a second email on the day of delivery confirming that timeslot and that the goods were on their way. Goods arrives at the start of the time slot.

I couldn't ask for more.
Sounds like they've improved their system since I last used them then, maybe I'll give them a second chance (with something cheap to test the water).:thumbsup:

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't go shopping more than twice a year, so everything I buy is delivered to my house. I've had terrible service over the years from, among others, Royal Mail, Parcel Force, Yodel, DPD and DHL. As I get a lot of stuff delivered I expect the odd failure by couriers, although some sellers are too ready to blame the courier when they, either haven't sent the items or have sent relatively high value items by insecure means. A few years ago I flatly refused to buy from outlets using Parcel Force, although I am still a bit cagey about them, they have recently improved no end and my 'ban' is no more.

I've also had excellent service from TNT, Fed-Ex, Royal Mail, Parcel Force (Yes despite my reservations!), Yodel, DPD, DHL and Fed-Ex. With many, many more on time and intact deliveries than the few failures. I tend to opt for premium timed deliveries for high value items and my default is 'Next day' where it is available. I reserve special mention for DPD who text me when a delivery is due to the point where they give a one hour slot, they did fail to make this once and were 3 minutes early! So excellent stuff. Worst tracking service goes to Parcel Force who usually manage to update their 'tracker' some vague point between several hours to a day or more late! Seeing the item has been sent on their system two hours after it was delivered isn't tracking and rather more like guessing.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
To be honest, we have become spoiled by the likes of Amazon promising next day delivery and free deliveries. We now take this as the norm and near instant gratification is expected.

What happened to the 28 day delivery window beloved of mail order companies? Anything delivered sooner was seen as a bonus.

Sometimes it's nice living in the slow lane.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you are importing stuff from the US, I would avoid UPS. They hold you to ransom for VAT and import duties. They actually seem faintly sinister to deal with. Maybe it's the hideous colour of their vans. Use Fedex, absolutely brilliant.

Have I just been unlucky or are all courier companies complete s***e and full of bulls***?

From this day forward, I will ask all online sellers which couriers they use before I place the order, and I shall not order anything if they use one of the couriers on my black list. No more second chances, I'd rather pay more and shop elsewhere!
Yes. They don't really do their job any more. Stay away from Yodel and UPS. UPS were delivering hundreds of pounds worth of workout supplements...the dudeleft the delivery slip on the main door on the apartment block, not my house door inside the building.. I caught him doing it and had to chase the van a mile away... luckily I'm in shape LOL.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you are importing stuff from the US, I would avoid UPS. They hold you to ransom for VAT and import duties. They actually seem faintly sinister to deal with. Maybe it's the hideous colour of their vans. Use Fedex, absolutely brilliant.

It is not UPS who charge these, they only collect them. Fedex from the USA I find is not as quick as DHL or UPS, as an importer speed and reliability is what I require as well as a competitive price.

Reactions: 4F

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Never had any problems with either DPD or DHL.
Parcel force are patchy at best - usual thing is a card shoved through the door irrespective of whether there's anyone in or not.
Yodel are a joke - if a company uses this shower of retarded monkeys, they no longer get my business.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I'm a fan of Click and Collect. Its not the cheapest but a text message to say that your parcel has arrived and any returns are just a drop off the nearest shop.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Through my business I have quite a lot of parcels delivered every week and here is my experience with the main couriers I have used over the last 9 years:

DPD - used to be pants but now with the 1 hour time slot always deliver on time
Citylink - I wont use any company that uses this courier.
Yodel / Home Delivery Network - Total crap nothing turns up on time.
Parcel Force - Nearly always turns up on time.
UPS - Always turns up on time.
Fedex - Dont use them very often but usually turns up on time.
DHL - Depends which part of DHL as the domestic delivery part of DHL is owned by Yodel / Home Delivery Network who as previously stated are total pants.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just sold ten small items all within the £3 postal rate; all arrived the next day. Good value.

Lullabelle

Banana
Drivers are only allowed to deliver to the address given to them. A lot of drivers who deliver to work are regulars and know not to deliver to the address given as it is the office not the stores. One day during this week 1 driver delivered to the office, fine, he also had to pick something up so I asked him to go around the other side of the building to our stores. He did, about 5 hours later! He left the parcel with me then drove off to god knows where then came back to us, what a waste of time :wacko:

Top Bottom