Couriers - are they all shoot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yodel are the only ones I've ever had an issue with - claimed something had been dispatched and delivered, yet I'd received nothing. My neighbour showed up a couple of days later with my package; turns out the driver hadn't put a note through my door, which is more human error than a poor company I suppose.

That said, they do have a fairly poor reputation.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Pretty much yes. I am quite a fan of collect+. Just drop stuff at newsagent
Couldn't agree more...

Collect + also allows me to order my expensive cycling gear & get it delivered without the 'Gastapo' intercepting it & giving me the thumbscrews ("how much" - "what do you need that for" - "how many" ???).
e-mails txts to say it's coming - delivered etc. Fantastic.

I get to say to mine Furer, "had it years love" &
£15.99 that (see £115.99).

Yodel are $H1T HOT too - never had a problem !!

The very worst of the worst goes to City Link - Should be re-named Shitty Link -
They ask you to drive to their depot on Trafford Park 8 miles away - complete AR$E !!

Last edited:

cd365

Guru
DPD are now brilliant, always deliver in the time slot that they have texted me and emailed me with.
shoot*ylink on the other hand are dreadful. Recently lost a parcel being delivered to me, I chased it up said someone would phone within 48 hours, over 72 hours later I phoned back. The had looked at the depot for the parcel but hadn't bothered with the hub, said they would now do that and call me back. No call so phoned up to complain, halfway through giving my details they hung up on me! I tweeted a complaint, ignored, logged one online, checked a few days later for an update, the had "resolved" it, but they had not contacted me. I reopened it asking why the had resolved it when it wasn't. Yesterday I had an email saying we lost it claim it back from the supplier. I responded and asked why they have ignored all my question I raised in my complaint and have asked for it to be escalated. If no response by middle of next week I will email again. A useless company who don't care about their customers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It is not UPS who charge these, they only collect them. Fedex from the USA I find is not as quick as DHL or UPS, as an importer speed and reliability is what I require as well as a competitive price.
I have no problem with the VAT and duty, just the manner in which UPS collects them. Dealing with Fedex has been far smoother for us.

fabregas485

The only real trouble I have had is with yodel. Most other companies just hire people who can't complete the job to deliver in my area.

stephec

Legendary Member
Do peoples complaints relate to the delivery option you choose, ie free -it should turn up sometime if you like a gamble - delivery, or next day super duper that'll be £10 please delivery?

Or is there no difference?

Peteaud

Veteran
TNT managed to deliver my parcel on Wednesday as instructed so that was good.

Parcel farce, ok

All the rest = hopeless.

I only use online retailers if they use parcel farce.

Chris-H

Über Member
I use several couriers from my work, the drivers are walking heart attacks they are so stressed out. Poorly paid and under enormous pressure under tiered (shaft the next guy) management, with everybody, top to bottom, chasing ludicrous and unachievable targets. The drivers are on a merry-go-round, moving from one company to another and finding them all the same. They are lucky I suppose, some have to acquire large loans to provide their own van as a condition of entry. It's an inhuman industry.

Royal Mail? I was going out and opened the door exactly as a postie was puttting a "Sorry you were out card" through my letter box. I walked him back to his van to retrieve my parcel. ^_^
I can relate to this, I worked for yodel as an Xmas temp a few years ago and it was horrific, they send you out with anything upto 180 parcels a day, to an area you don't know and pretty much tell you to not come back until your finished, then there's the collections, it backfired cos I was on hourly pay, stressed but absolutely minted.
Then just before Xmas just gone I enquired about owner drivers with a different company, I thought whilst my work was quiet I could put my van to work in other ways, they offered me a round with approx 150 drops per day at a rate of 45p per parcel, consider it would cost me £30 in fuel a day and you'll see why they got a rather firm no, I would've been doing over 10 hours a day for about £15, yeah right.

sickboyblue

Yodel really are shocking.. we ordered some stuff which never arrived. Yodel were saying they'd delivered it but it hadn't been signed for. The company we'd bought from sent a replacement.. both packages arrived together! Turned out the driver had left our original package in the back of his van for 3 weeks!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I use DPD & CityLink, if my customers give me the correct address information, a mobile number and a correct email address DPD have a first attempt strike rate of 98.8% Citylink 88% or lower at peak traffic. Citylink cheap on multi parcel under 25kg and now VERY expensive on singles. DPD are the gold standard in the industry for bulky parcels, UPS for small consignment's but bloody expensive.

Most delivery problems are due to incorrect info given by the customers, unrealistic expectations but most of all due to temp agency drivers doing a delivery round when the normal driver is off ill or on holiday..

Top Bottom