Court result after dangerous tailgating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
(warning, I swear a little - although at the start I'm saying BACK OFF not F*** Off !)

This driver received 6 points and £800 financial penalties including a £150 compensation order in my favour today.

He pleaded not guilty on the basis I was cycling erratically, only doing 7 mph and he was protecting me from drivers behind him, and that I was drunk.

He was found guilty, obviously. He wants to appeal because it was all my fault. As I left the car park he filmed me driving away and then followed me part of the way home (which I have reported to the police also).

A very strange man.

I don't expect I will ever receive the £150 !

Drago

Legendary Member
Oooh, that's a well deserved 6 points. Best bit is it cost him 950 odd sheets today, but when his insurers find out the cost to him will likely double.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A very strange man.

Yes, although I've seen this type of behaviour in minor court cases before.

Seems to me it's not that the defendant is frightened or upset, but he cannot deal with being told what to do, and having someone else's opinion take precedence over his.

In his normal world, he would deal with someone who doesn't agree with him or telling him to do something he doesn't want to do simply by telling them to eff off - numerous times.

There is also frustration.

This guy pleaded not guilty, so he's impelled to act as he did by a crushing sense of injustice caused by being found guilty.

Following you is unnerving, and you've done the right thing by getting it on official record.

But he will calm down in the coming days, and it's vanishingly unlikely you will hear from him again.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Seems to me it's not that the defendant is frightened or upset, but he cannot deal with being told what to do, and having someone else's opinion take precedence over his.

In his normal world, he would deal with someone who doesn't agree with him or telling him to do something he doesn't want to do simply by telling them to eff off - numerous times.

This guy pleaded not guilty, so he's impelled to act as he did by a crushing sense of injustice caused by being found guilty.

Following you is unnerving, and you've done the right thing by getting it on official record.

But he will calm down in the coming days, and it's vanishingly unlikely you will hear from him again.
Thanks PR, that's very good to know.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Oooh, that's a well deserved 6 points. Best bit is it cost him 950 odd sheets today, but when his insurers find out the cost to him will likely double.

Absolutely !

Do they get notified automatically ?

He was driving an Audi TT yesterday, so I can imagine this will really sting. He told the court he was unemployed, and thus received the lowest band fine. Some confusion as to the status of his driving licence, the court printout said it was an Italian provisional licence. I think I'm lucky he didn't knock me off, just hope he accepts the outcome and learns to give space to cyclists in future. He was very angry about the verdict.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Is such a thing valid in the UK? I would say he got off lightly if he doesn't actually have a proper licence.
Don’t know the exact rules, but, UK driving licence valid in most countries, if you are a visitor. So, would expect we would accept “foreign” licence in similar way. But, if “provisional” means same in Italy, as UK, maybe he should not be driving unaccompanied? Would have thought a Police would have been more diligent on this aspect, since it would/could have Insurance implications.

C R

Guru
Don’t know the exact rules, but, UK driving licence valid in most countries, if you are a visitor. So, would expect we would accept “foreign” licence in similar way. But, if “provisional” means same in Italy, as UK, maybe he should not be driving unaccompanied? Would have thought a Police would have been more diligent on this aspect, since it would/could have Insurance implications.
Indeed, I wouldn't expect a provisional license to be valid unless accompanied by a qualified driver.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do they get notified automatically ?

Good question, not least because I don't know the answer.

An online licence check would reveal the points, but I believe only the licence holder can get one of those, although he can share it.

I think a car hire company would want sight of his licence or the check.

My guess is the insurance company would not be told about a points conviction.

Apart from anything else, how is the court to know who to tell?

He is obliged to inform them, but is unlikely to take that responsibility very seriously.

The confusion over his licence doesn't surprise me.

I've seen that many times with UK citizens who have a UK driving licence, let alone a foreign one.

Another consideration is where are these points to be applied?

The DVLA should at least keep them on record, so if he applied for a UK provisional or full licence it should come out with the points already on it.

Regrettably, he may benefit from the administrative complications in that the points get lost somewhere.

In terms of obtaining justice, your main satisfaction and that of the public is derived from your day in court.

C R

Guru
The DVLA should at least keep them on record, so if he applied for a UK provisional or full licence it should come out with the points already on it.
This is what used to happen. An acquaintance of ours got three points when drive under her Czech license, and when she converted it to a UK license it came with the three points. That was maybe 15 years ago, but one would hope that the same process still happens.

All uphill

Still rolling along

I like your interpretation @PaleRider.

How do people get to be adults without having learnt to give and take a little?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How do people get to be adults without having learnt to give and take a little?

It does make you wonder.

Being at court I often see the worst side of people, but some do seem to operate in a near permanent state of confrontation and chaos.

They certainly operate on a knife edge of civility.

Fine when things are going smoothly, but straight into swearing and general abuse at the first sign of a bump in life's path.

icowden

Veteran
He pleaded not guilty on the basis I was cycling erratically, only doing 7 mph and he was protecting me from drivers behind him, and that I was drunk.

Wow. Could he not have found a few more reasons? I mean - pick one and go with it, or do some basic research. Plus It's quite hard to do just 7mph on the flat... (I think my 5 year old niece is faster than that!). Then there's the video which shows you cycling in a straight line, at about 12-15 mph by my estimate.

At least he got done.

Top Bottom