COVID-19 STOPPED PLAY! [FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 28th March 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry - I am bowing to the inevitable... POSTPONED due to that nasty virus! If the situation improves enough we can run it later in the year. If not, see you this time NEXT year!

Littgull and I are planning to repeat the century ride that we did last March from Garforth (check it out in THIS THREAD). The full route is 100 easy, flat miles but you could take a shortcut back to Garforth after our cafe stop and do 103 kms instead.

This time though we will plan to ride back on the road through Kippax and forget about using 'The Lines' cycle path. We had to go via Kippax last time because of flooding at Allerton Bywater. This time I will have the Kippax route on my GPS so we won't get lost again! :whistle:

We aim to do the ride on Sat, 28th March but given the weather so far this year and the fact that we only just avoided flooding last year, we will keep the following Saturday (4th April) as a reserve date.

Littgull and I will be catching the train out to Garforth station, just to the east of Leeds and we will be doing a big clockwise loop from there. Our official start time is 09:15, about 5 minutes after our train is supposed to arrive. Obviously, if the train is held up there might be a delay. I'll make sure that I have a phone number for at least a couple of people meeting us at Garforth so I can let you know if there are significant delays.

NB Despite being a small town, Garforth has a second station (East Garforth) - don't go to that one by mistake!

It is an EXTREMELY flat route which I will be tackling on my singlespeed bike. Ideal for anybody else who fancies a long ss/fixed ride, or anybody with gears who would like an easy chatty ride.

We won't be aiming for a quick ride, but given that it is such easy terrain I'd hope that we could manage an average of (say) 20 kph/12.5 mph, giving us a ride time of 8 hours with (say) 1.5 hours of stops on top of that. So, let's aim for a return to Garforth around 19:00. Sunset that day is 18:37 so if you are doing the full ride, bring lights.

NB The route, map, profile and GPXs below are subject to last minute changes in case of road closures. Check on the Friday evening to see if there have been any such changes.

Rough description of route: Garforth, Barwick in Elmet, Aberford, Bramham, Wetherby, Spofforth, Cowthorpe, Boston Spa, Bramham again, Ulleskelf, Cawood (cafe at Cawood park), Wistow, Thorpe Willoughby, Gateforth (shortcut across to Hillam for anybody wanting to do only a metric century; shown on the map by a red arrow), Carlton, Snaith, Gowdall, Moss, Trumfleet, Thorpe in Balne, Campsall, Norton Priory, Womersley, Cridling Stubbs, Beal, Hillam, Fairburn, Kippax, Garforth.

Map:
Garforth century ride 2020.png

Profile (Almost completely FLAT!):
Garforth century ride 2020 profile.png

We will have one official stop at Cawood Park, after 66 km (41 miles). Those of us doing the imperial century will have another short break somewhere about 3 hours further on. We won't be passing many shops so make sure that you have enough drinks to get you to Cawood, where you can refill your bottles. Also make sure that you carry enough snacks/food/gels (whatever you consume on long rides) to get you back from Cawood to Garforth.

I have attached GPX files for the imperial century and metric century routes. They are designed to work with my ancient Etrex GPS. If you use a GPS device, make sure that your GPS understands my files. Some people have to edit them to suit their hardware.

I hope that we can get a decent turnout again this time. If you fancy coming along, post below! :hello:

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Garforth metric century 2020.gpx
    18.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Garforth imperial century 2020.gpx
    28.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'll be the first to formally get my name on the list for this one. It's a smashing route and a great one for riding the first imperial (or metric) century of the calendar year as it's really flat.

Buck

Guru
I'm planning to repeat the century ride that we did last March from Garforth, details in THIS THREAD. The full route is 100 easy, flat miles but you could take a shortcut back to Garforth after our cafe stop and do 100 kms instead.

This time though we will plan to ride back on the road through Kippax and forget about using 'The Lines' cycle path. We had to go via Kippax last time because of flooding at Allerton Bywater. This time I will have the Kippax route on my GPS so we won't get lost again! :whistle:

I aim to do this ride on Sat, 28th March but given the weather so far this year and the fact that we only just avoided flooding last year, we will keep the following Saturday as a reserve date.

I hope that we can get a decent turnout again this time. If you fancy coming along, post below!

[I'll copy and paste details from the previous ride later...]

linky not working Colin ?

Edit: Searched and found this one

I’m following this but currently doubtful as still recovering from my operation but will see how I go!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll be the first to formally get my name on the list for this one. It's a smashing route and a great one for riding the first imperial (or metric) century of the calendar year as it's really flat.
Yes, and therefore ideal for singlespeed (I'll be on mine again) or fixed, apart from one short hill at Bramham. I managed to get up Windmill Road but it was hard work for about 200 metres. I don't think anywhere else was much of a problem.

linky not working Colin ?

Edit: Searched and found this one

I’m following this but currently doubtful as still recovering from my operation but will see how I go!
Hmm, the one time I didn't test a link, it didn't work! :laugh: Thanks - I have now corrected it.

Good luck with your recovery. Don't forget the 100 km option. Last year @Kestevan brought a biggish group along and they did the shorter route. Maybe they will join us again? (Apart from those who were worried about scratching their bikes on the cycle path to Spofforth...? :whistle:)

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I’ll be up for this, if it ever stops raining/hailing/snowing/blowing.
I remember last February, sitting outside Puddleducks in Dunsop Bridge, eating lunch wearing shorts in 20 degrees lovely sunshine. What a contrast.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I can do the 28th, so I'm in (weather permitting) but I can't make the following weekend :sad:
What's the planned start time? My trains are due in at 12 mins past the hour :okay:
Let's say a nominal 09:15, which really means soon after you you get there... Littgull and I should arrive a few minutes before you, assuming that the trains are running and on time, which doesn't always happen these days as you well know!

Slioch

Guru
Can you put me down as a possible please.

I caught the lurgy over new year and I'm still trying to shake it off, so my fitness levels are nowhere near where they should be.

I really enjoyed the ride last year - thought it was a great route. I especially liked the cheeky wee additional hill that was chucked in at the end :tongue:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Can you put me down as a possible please.

I caught the lurgy over new year and I'm still trying to shake it off, so my fitness levels are nowhere near where they should be.

I really enjoyed the ride last year - thought it was a great route. I especially liked the cheeky wee additional hill that was chucked in at the end :tongue:

It wouldn't be a Colin ride if there wasn't an 'oo, I'd forgotten about this one' moment.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It wouldn't be a Colin ride if there wasn't an 'oo, I'd forgotten about this one' moment.
It wasn't planned! Late in the ride, we were told of a flooded road ahead of us so we changed the route back into Garforth. I hadn't put the alternative on my GPS because "I couldn't possibly get it wrong" and then I did! :blush:

All we needed to do was to bear right in Kippax but my blood sugar was getting low and I was tired so I didn't even notice the road to the right at a mini-roundabout. It was a costly mistake! We plunged downhill towards Great Preston and then climbed back up the other side of the dip. I only just got up that hill on my singlespeed. I eventually realised my mistake and we turned back which meant doing the hills in reverse. My legs went on the climb back and I had to walk the second half to the mini-roundabout and the now VERY obvious road that we should have taken! I made another mistake in Garforth itself before finally getting us back onto the right route.

No such problems will happen this time***! I have already edited the route to go through Kippax and added in a couple of short extensions earlier on to make up the distance. I'll edit the first post this evening to include full details of what is planned.

*** I will be checking the weather and road conditions right up to the 28th just in case!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Don't come much flatter than this in the UK... :okay:

I have updated the first post with details. It looks like Shaun has added a GPX viewer since I last posted a GPX file so I won't need to bother posting maps in future!

Domus

Guru
Should be up for this. Possibly stay with number 1 daughter in Sowerby Bridge, catch train from there. Easier than riding into Manchester.
Hope the trains improve. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom