Covid - it's not all bad news!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came across this article in the Guardian while enjoying my morning coffee.

It's about the relative boom in cycling (more in mainland Europe), the expansion of cycling lanes and a swing in public attitudes to more space allocation for cycling.

I have the idea that there'll be a lot more interest in Touring in the next few years. Good news for all of us!

PK99

Legendary Member
Almost half of all journeys in London were made by cycling and walking from April to June 2020, up from 29% before the pandemic. :eek:

I suppose it must be because no one was going anywhere much in that time.

The running joke at the time was about getting 3 months to the gallon. Our car moved once a week to go to the supermarket but we walked every day.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is interesting that a big cause of celebration is 'tens of miles' in a capital city. To me that nothing - the target should be thousands per country. I believe this has been a missed opportunity - the Covid lanes that I have seen lasted a few weeks at best before motor obsessed councils ripped then back out.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
It is interesting that a big cause of celebration is 'tens of miles' in a capital city. To me that nothing - the target should be thousands per country. I believe this has been a missed opportunity - the Covid lanes that I have seen lasted a few weeks at best before motor obsessed councils ripped then back out.
That's a bit of a glass half empty approach, no?

What I took from the article was that cities took a fresh, new approach, that approach has been rewarded (the infrastructure was used) and this new attitude/outlook seems to have bedded in.

Every tour starts with one pedal stroke so short distances are vastly better than no distance.

More people using bikes, especially "new" people and a society looking differently at bikes and infrastructure is not a bad thing in my book.

As someone who prefers to avoid cities on a loaded bike, even one decent, cycle friendly approach is a big advantage for me.

Of course, perhaps your focus is on the UK reactions. In that case, there are very few good times like this one to harness the power of a cycling lobby.

As great as the infrastructure is in NL, for example, it was fought for against huge opposition. Once a critical mass were on bikes, the opposition effectively withered away.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
... and then been ripped out by the council after a few motorists got their mates in another country to sign a petition.
And it's not only the UK. There was an attention-grabbing protest in Brussels yesterday against the change from a transport policy to a mobility policy which has seen introduction of Superblocks, new cycleways and 20mph zones: https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/...g-horns-protests-mobility-policy-in-brussels/

Hopefully the governments will stick to the measures outlined in the Guardian article and what we are seeing is the last gasps of the oil-burners and heavies. I am sceptical that this will take root everywhere and really sceptical about the UK, where even gov.uk seems to have backtracked and not put any more money into cycling and walking in the recent budget.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
How do we get @HobbesOnTour back to Blighty and preaching his optimism in parliament!
Better late than never…..

NACA , Advocacy >>>>>>>>>>

There's not many of us that like being mocked, but hey, if it's for optimism, I'll take it.

Optimism on a bike tour? Yes please!
Optimism during a global pandemic? Yes please!
Optimism on any other day? Yes please!

Back to Blighty? I am not from "Blighty", why would I go "back" there? For snark like yours?
I'll pass.

There's not many of us that like being mocked, but hey, if it's for optimism, I'll take it.

Optimism on a bike tour? Yes please!
Optimism during a global pandemic? Yes please!
Optimism on any other day? Yes please!
Eh??? There was no mocking in my statement. :-(

I'm all in favour of optimism! (and if you did want to bring some over here - here being Blighty, where I believe all other thread responders currently ride - it would be most welcome 👍)

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Eh??? There was no mocking in my statement. :-(

I'm all in favour of optimism! (and if you did want to bring some over here - here being Blighty, where I believe all other thread responders currently ride - it would be most welcome 👍)
Based on previous interactions with you I don't believe you.:becool:

Top Bottom