Cow boy plumber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
He blames the female threads on the radiator. He will have put the PTFE tape on too thick so couldn’t feel the thread engagement properly. Why can’t he just say sorry I cross threaded it. I’ve been using nuts and bolts in industrial settings for years so I know how it’s done.

He's quite clever.......

" You supplied the radiator.
The radiator thread was dodgy out of the factory.
It's your fault that the thread got stripped"

Is there no limit to the sleaziness of the building trade?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
He blames the female threads on the radiator. He will have put the PTFE tape on too thick so couldn’t feel the thread engagement properly. Why can’t he just say sorry I cross threaded it. I’ve been using nuts and bolts in industrial settings for years so I know how it’s done.

I've never seen PTFE tape used on a radiator fitting, they're all either Olives or 'O' rings

He's quite clever.......

" You supplied the radiator.
The radiator thread was dodgy out of the factory.
It's your fault that the thread got stripped"

Is there no limit to the sleaziness of the building trade?

Not with kitchen fitters, bodge artists all of them and I've worked in shopfitting

Depends on the paste, some never cure and remain flexible.

If it continues to leak you could try some external sealant or possibly hemp pipe packer to held the threads engage.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends on the paste, some never cure and remain flexible.

If it continues to leak you could try some external sealant or possibly hemp pipe packer to held the threads engage.

Or tell the 'kitchen fitter' he's an absolute ferking numpty and shouldn't be let loose on pipework, I'd go ballistic on the cowboy............Hope you didn't pay him for bodging it up @Milzy

I am surprised. Tradespersons even if not a plumber would know the perils of cross threading and would also know how make the initial turns as new fixtures have burrs. It usually the other way around where DIY owner has cross threaded and called a tradesperson to fix it.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I have spare valves coming in case. Worry about the rad female threads though even if a new valve pasted goes on. You can get that leak liquid to put in system too.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Some of these rough self employed so called tradesmen are earning as much as solicitors whilst paying less tax than them. Shame we didn’t have a tradeswomen they’d do it right first time.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I have new valves I wangled for free. Anyway he’s refusing to remove the stripped one to avoid draining the system. He says the pin hole filler fluid is worth a try first. £12 a tub.
My logic is fit new valve and use fluid then walk away done. Not just a cow boy but a very lazy one at that.

Top Bottom