Cow boy plumber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
He claims it went in properly but the far end female threads caused it.

He broke it he replaces it simples .

Fastpedaller

A decent plumber would know a single turn of the correct ptfe on a thread is more than enough. Wrapping loads around is very amateur.

You've clearly not fitted radiator tails in a radiator very often - taper thread male fitting and (usually) very slack threads on the radiator mean it's pretty much imperative to put far more PTFE on than one would expect. I had a leak from a rad tail some 13 years ago, and on close examination it became clear the female thread of the radiator was becoming 'bigger' when the fitting was tightened - A badly welded rad which was opening up! no easy fix other than replacement - I didn't have my arc welder with me!

You've clearly not fitted radiator tails in a radiator very often - taper thread male fitting and (usually) very slack threads on the radiator mean it's pretty much imperative to put far more PTFE on than one would expect. I had a leak from a rad tail some 13 years ago, and on close examination it became clear the female thread of the radiator was becoming 'bigger' when the fitting was tightened - A badly welded rad which was opening up! no easy fix other than replacement - I didn't have my arc welder with me!

Clearly? The years spent getting my City & Guilds were wasted, I could have just read your post. :laugh:

Just remember to leave 2 or 3 threads free before wrapping with a few turns of thick PTFE packs thread better than a dozen thin turns), this allows thread to start cleanly and PTFE to work without one fighting the other.

Fastpedaller

Clearly? The years spent getting my City & Guilds were wasted, I could have just read your post. :laugh:

With respect I recently saw work done by a new successful C&G post-grad ..... he'd conected a hot feed into a 9.5kw Triton shower - still we all learn. Maybe best I end the conversation there. No offence was intended, unlike some above who it would appear wish to label all plumbers as Cowboys.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I don’t think we are saying plumbers are cowboys. I let a joiner do my plumbing because he said he does that side of the job too. It’s kind of my own fault for letting him near it. Lesson learned. I don’t have a Water C&G but I’ve experience in boiler making & I’m more careful with BSTP than the Joiner/cowboy plumber.

With respect I recently saw work done by a new successful C&G post-grad ..... he'd conected a hot feed into a 9.5kw Triton shower - still we all learn. Maybe best I end the conversation there. No offence was intended, unlike some above who it would appear wish to label all plumbers as Cowboys.

No offence taken, nor intended in my reply.

I was fortunate enough to do my C&G many moons ago, and I changed to a different occupation quite some time ago. Speaking to people of a similar age in various trades, and they all talk of the decline in the level of training, especially the 'time served' aspect.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No offence taken, nor intended in my reply.

I was fortunate enough to do my C&G many moons ago, and I changed to a different occupation quite some time ago. Speaking to people of a similar age in various trades, and they all talk of the decline in the level of training, especially the 'time served' aspect.

Yep it's all 'modules' these days, do it once and get the tick that gets you the cerstifficate and lets them loose on the general public. Long gone are the days when a gas fitter checked his work by running a Lighter round any soldered joints to see if they were leaking it's all 'manometers' to see if the pipes hold pressure and wait half an hour to get a reading .....................doesn't show where the leak is, just that there is one 'somewhere'

Oh and BTW my uncle was 'Corgi registered' back in the 70's and the 'Lighter' method was how he checked his work, if there is a pinhole leak you get a tiny flame out of the bad join which you can then rectify.

Slick

Guru
Yep it's all 'modules' these days, do it once and get the tick that gets you the cerstifficate and lets them loose on the general public. Long gone are the days when a gas fitter checked his work by running a Lighter round any soldered joints to see if they were leaking it's all 'manometers' to see if the pipes hold pressure and wait half an hour to get a reading .....................doesn't show where the leak is, just that there is one 'somewhere'

Oh and BTW my uncle was 'Corgi registered' back in the 70's and the 'Lighter' method was how he checked his work, if there is a pinhole leak you get a tiny flame out of the bad join which you can then rectify.

My old father inlaw always spoke of using a lighter to find gas leaks on the fishing boat. :eek:

Top Bottom