Cowboy 3 bike can't go uphill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Turi

Regular
Did you get anywhere on this?
Going through a similar problem.

About to launch a claim in the Small Claims Court

Yep... they basically told me that the engine was not designed for that kind of steep hills so I sent it back (and I wasn't going up high mountains with it, I just live in a hilly city).

Gwylan

Veteran
Yep... they basically told me that the engine was not designed for that kind of steep hills so I sent it back (and I wasn't going up high mountains with it, I just live in a hilly city).

Interesting. Cowboy and I are heading to the Small Claims Court. Currently at the stiff letter phase.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
From my googling: It's effectively a single speed bike , gear ratio is a bit like having a 44T front and a 15T rear, which seems ok but it won't let you pootle around with low effort, you'll need to be making an effort and keeping the cadence (pedalling speed) quite high whenever there's a hill. In reality, you need a much bigger motor AND gears.

From my googling: It's effectively a single speed bike , gear ratio is a bit like having a 44T front and a 15T rear, which seems ok but it won't let you pootle around with low effort, you'll need to be making an effort and keeping the cadence (pedalling speed) quite high whenever there's a hill. In reality, you need a much bigger motor AND gears.

Hmmm
Yes - I am always a bit dubious about ebikes with no gears
but then I am thinking prely about UK legal ebikes
hence the motor will never have the power to get you up a decent hill so you need to pedal for a lotof the power

but to do that you need to be able to vary the ratios - which needs some kind of gear system

Or so I would think - I have not seen a system that would get round this without having a much bigger motor - which is illegal

Dadam

Seems to be a single speed belt drive with a low torque hub motor. Can’t see the point of lugging around the battery and motor at all it’s for flattish town riding.
Single gear with only a 30Nm hub motor. It's a very lightweight ebike with light assistance.

I wouldn’t call it lightweight, it’s 17kg. My Orbea is 14kg and has a 40nm motor and 2x10sp derailleur gears. No problem going up hills but I haven’t tried more than 10% yet. A bit more money mind you but many better ebikes choices are available around the 2k mark

Gwylan

Veteran
To my cost I am aware of that.

Also the range is nowhere near their claims. In my experience.
Hmmm
Yes - I am always a bit dubious about ebikes with no gears
but then I am thinking prely about UK legal ebikes
hence the motor will never have the power to get you up a decent hill so you need to pedal for a lotof the power

but to do that you need to be able to vary the ratios - which needs some kind of gear system

Or so I would think - I have not seen a system that would get round this without having a much bigger motor - which is illegal

You have a succinct grip on the situation.

My previous, indifferent ebike, coped with a circuit of Malham tarn.
Some ( discerning or illeterate) shite nicked it from outside a coffe shop in Oxford!

The Abbot of Aberbrothok comes to mind!
They will face their maker

Hub drive is certainly not ideal for climbing, just too little torque. Conversely they are more efficient at low torque higher motor revolutions speeds so ideal for flattish rides. Hills = crank motors 👍🏻

Gwylan

Veteran

This is like telling your mate he should never have got involved with that hot looking girl. Especially now everyone knows she has " issues"

Top Bottom