Cowboys and Indians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Do kids still play Cowboys and Indians?

Or have changing movie trends changed their play habits?

longers

Legendary Member
We never did, it was always Germans and Tommys.

No idea what they're doing now, they don't play do they?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I think the PC Brigade would have clamped down on it.
In similar vein, do the kids have the imagination that we had?
Four dining room chairs made a Rolls Royce, eight made a bus.
Lay four chairs down with a blanket on the top and you have a cave, a foxhole, a tent and many other things.

gary r

Guru
we always used to play cowboys & indians or war,To get a game of war going we would walk around the playground with our arms linked singing "who wants to play war only boys"! when there were enough of us the game would start,Of course there were always the kids who "didnt take their shots",We also used to sing a song "we won the war in 1964"obviously 1964 rhymes better than 1945!! Things hane changed i never see my kids playing war or cowboys & indians but then how often are westerns & war films on TV these days,They seem so dated i doubt kids would be interested

longers

Legendary Member
gary r said:
To get a game of war going we would walk around the playground with our arms linked singing "who wants to play war only boys"! when there were enough of us the game would start,

"Who wants to play army? No girls allowed."

rich p

ridiculous old lush
War or cowboys and indians were the games of choice when I was at school.. Don't think my kids ever played them though and they're in their mid 20's so I doubt if the habit has come back. Did you have 'veinites' when you were safe from being shot?

Did anyone play chainy tig? Basically a game of tig, but when you tigged a person you had to chase others together holding hands. The more people you caught the longer the chain got, so when the whole thing turned a corner whoever was on the end experienced massive g forces and often spun off hitting walls, fences, railings etc and often incurred serious injury. It was banned at our school. As was british bulldog on the tarmac playground...

Then there was raps with playing cards. At playtime people would make horrible messes of their knuckles. Also banned...

longers

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Then there was raps with playing cards. At playtime people would make horrible messes of their knuckles. Also banned...

The memories :smile:. We used to play that on the coaches to swimming matches. One lad was a vicious so and so and would "step" the cards.

There was also slaps and knuckles. Never liked knuckles much.

mondobongo

Über Member
Ah knuckles went on a school trip to London once very few of us got back that night with skin on our knuckles, pain was cutting the deck and getting a picture or an ace and your skin was already gone.

Another one we played at school was '123 silence' in between lessons waiting for the Teacher. Once the call was made first person to speak got battered by the rest of the class. Teacher would walk in and go your all very quiet they must have known. If we had not got caught bashing a classmate up you dreaded being asked a question by the new Teacher as justice was dealt out at the end of the lesson the teacher would leave and you would just about have time to get your hands over your head ahh schooldays were fun.

Abitrary

How did people elect team-mates? We used a system called 'ip dip', that went...

Ip dip, sky blue, who's it, not you... (ad nauseam)

Top Bottom