Cracked seat tube

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Ribble do their winter frame for £90, brand new!

That's what I'm thinking off since I bought blue bar tape and cables and bottle holders to make this one all nice and colour coded!

Levo-Lon

Guru
If keeping it I would cut off the cracked piece, (make sure all the crack is removed) and try and source a seat post clamp that fits the OD of the frame, a bit of bodging may be required, most seatposts only use one bolt for clamping.

not with that frame..it wont be possible. Tho id try what you said if you had 50mm of free post tube to work with.
id bin it..return if you can be bothered, id just throw it away personally

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like a poor design to me.

There is a very short length of seat tube proud of the join between the seat stay and top tube, which makes it difficult to compress the seat tube to grip the post.

The lower part of the slot won't compress at all, and the top part is too rigid to compress very much, hence the crack.

Probably made worse by it being a small frame.

The Planet X frame in the link below has some tube proud of the weld, so should work.

The Holdsworth one has very little tube proud of the weld, so could suffer from the same problem.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT58AFSDP/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-road-frameset

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOPRO/holdsworth-professional-frameset-(italian-made)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

It's being collected Thursday for a refund. The frame was a bmc streetfire ssx01 to be built up for commuting

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've never seen a seatpost clamp like that. Why is it designed that way?

I'd be tempted to cut off the top of the seat tube, taking the split with it and leaving a smooth end with no stress risers then fit an exterior collar. I might even grind off the lower part of the clamp too and possibly even extend the compression slot. As long as the mod copies the classic design it ought to work. Hard to say though without a better view of the frame.

Top Bottom