Cracked seat tube

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 41544

Hello everyone, just bought a frame off e bay, its a BMC streetfire ssx01 to build up, got the frame and there is a very small crack at the seat tube clamp, its an integrated clamp and looks like it has been overtightened at some point, just want some opinions on whether its repairable? usuable as it is or should I ask the seller for a refund? any advice is appreciated

1 (1).jpg
0 (2).jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd say that's had it. I hope it wasn't too expensive...

Last edited:
U

User32269

I would ask for a refund. If this wasn't pointed out in ad, then you have every right.

simon.r

Person
If it wasn't mentioned it's disappointing. IME the vast majority of keen cyclists are decent and honest when it comes to selling used stuff.

On a number of occasions people I've never met have given me small bits for free and I've never been let down by a seller.

U

User32269

If it wasn't mentioned it's disappointing. IME the vast majority of keen cyclists are decent and honest when it comes to selling used stuff.

On a number of occasions people I've never met have given me small bits for free and I've never been let down by a seller.
eBay do tend to take buyers side in disputes etc.
My experience is if you contact seller and ask for a refund *before leaving negative feedback* they will usually be willing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

I've been in contact with the seller and they've been fair about it and asked what I wanted to do, I said I'd try a seat post in it and go from there as it looks like the bottom bolt might nip up

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You would not find me riding that. Is that the frame that sold for £22?

U

User32269

I've been in contact with the seller and they've been fair about it and asked what I wanted to do, I said I'd try a seat post in it and go from there as it looks like the bottom bolt might nip up
Don't use it. It could be catastrophic if it splits more or fractures as your bombing down a hill.
I was doing up an old Sun Solo a couple of months ago and found a similar crack, left it out for the scrap man.

Venod

Eh up
If keeping it I would cut off the cracked piece, (make sure all the crack is removed) and try and source a seat post clamp that fits the OD of the frame, a bit of bodging may be required, most seatposts only use one bolt for clamping.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Thanks for all the replies, looks like its unanimous, the seller has kindly agreed to a return, I was hoping someone would say they had the exact same problem and got it welded by a pal for a tenner and it's been great for the last 7 years because I really liked the frame.
Anyone got a small frame for sale?

Top Bottom