Cracking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't like it. You cannot hover over a thread and you have to open a new page to reply. So far - not good and I think a retrograde step.

You know there's just no pleasing some people is there..Can't be doing with moaning arse people.. Shaun you have done a fantastic job in the switch over.. So just ignore the people that want to pick it to bits now.. Think we all know that there is going to be little bits and bobs missing but were all know and understand that over the next few week you will be doing all the tweeks and little finishing touches...

Great work shaun...

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is a much better, eye catching and ultimately usable layout. Still finding my way roung, but everything is easy to follow and it looks good. As someone who works as a professional designer using both print and web I approve!
cheers.gif

PBancroft

Yep, good work Shaun. Know that there's still work to do, but you've done a blinder so far.

For one, I wasn't sure about the new colour scheme either to begin with, but now that I've been using the board for a half hour or so, I actually quite like it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Don't like it. You cannot hover over a thread and you have to open a new page to reply. So far - not good and I think a retrograde step.

You know there's just no pleasing some people is there..Can't be doing with moaning arse people.. Shaun you have done a fantastic job in the switch over.. So just ignore the people that want to pick it to bits now.. Think we all know that there is going to be little bits and bobs missing but were all know and understand that over the next few week you will be doing all the tweeks and little finishing touches...

Great work shaun...

That's a bit harsh. Gavin has as much right to an opinion as anyone, and makes valid points - which is exactly what I know Admin will want - for everyone to be as happy as possible. That's why we have a feedback section at all - not just for praise.

I seem to remember reading something about a way to get the 'mouseover' preview of text, I can't remember now, but I'm sure Admin will be along to tell us again. Also, the whole process isn't quite finished yet, I think. A quick reply box might be possible - personally I never used that on the old board, so I don't miss it, but I'm sure plenty did.

I'm a conservative old thing, so I'm still getting used to the new layout - before long it'll be hard to remember what it used to be like...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Here we are, found the thread on it...

"The built-in topic preview works differently in the new software.

Personally I'm not a fan, and there is a plugin under development to replicate the current "hover" preview we have now, so hopefully we can get this feature back.

In the meantime, move your mouse to the far right of the topic line and an icon should appear (page with a green upwards pointing arrow). Click this icon to load the preview box to pre-read the thread without diving in.

Cheers,
Shaun :rolleyes:"

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak

Great work shaun...

pull your neck in will ya, if he don't like it he's entitled to say so. i very much doubt he decided not to like it deliberately, its just his natural reaction to the changes.

personally i dont like it either but thats not to say i dont appreciate to work admin has put in.

most people use a forum because of the content NOT the forum software, so its not likely to push people away, is it ???

for me, i dont like the colors, but the rest ill get used to. smiles are a bit limited but im sure more will be added to in time (most forums come with a limited standard set) :rolleyes:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Anyone is of course entitled to their opinion, and the feedback forum is indeed here for people to give constructive feedback, but I think some people need to remember that Shaun created this forum as a free resource for our benefit.

Having created and run a free forum for many years, I know the work that goes into it. Some of the balder comments do strike me as rather ungrateful in their phrasing.

Great work shaun...

When you've got as many posts as Gavin, then your voice will be a little louder, and more relevant!

I personally don't like the new software, either, BUT it's the content, banter and friendship I'm here for, NOT to be anal about the merits of the new software. It is first and foremost a forum for cycling and cyclists.

Shaun has done a tremendous job with (T)HIS forum and has a great deal of respect from the forumers here.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oooooooh! Fancy!

Thanks Shaun for all your toil and dedication. What with only being a brief and occasional visitor to CC I expect it will take me a long time to get used to everything, but there we are. What does this mean? :rolleyes:

Shaun

Founder
There is still A LOT OF WORK TO DO on the new software, including quick-reply and a LOT of formatting issues.

I simply couldn't keep my eyes open any longer so had to stop and get some sleep.

I also need to spend some time at home this weekend and am out this evening too, but I'll get back to it as soon as is practical and "fix" some of the things people are not happy with.

I'll also try and write some "How to's" to explain where things are, which will hopefully help people settle in better.

Apologies for some of the niggles, but bear with me for a few days and we'll sort it.

Cheers,
Shaun ;)

Great job Shaun and very much appreciated. Yes it is different and somehow feels oddly different to when I looked at the preview but overall I think it's an improvement as a cycling resource to the old forum and that's the point of the move. Look carefully at the requests, my experience is people want to have old functionality back instead of exploring the new functionality. Right, now back to posting banal comments in Cafe ;)

Top Bottom