Cracknell/Romero Tandem ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

claver58

Über Member
From Lands end to John O'Groats and going for the record and starting Monday.
Anyone know where the route and timing is? Want to be by the side of the road at the start of the climb up to Shap which I think will be around 4am Tuesday morning. Can't find route and timings but good article in Telegraph (sat 1st).

longers

Legendary Member
There's a link to a google map of the route next to the article but it doesn't give any different timings to those mentioned in the article.

OP
OP
claver58

claver58

Über Member
I start work on Shap Rd at 4.45am so I'm thinking of getting up earlier to cheer them on. Sort of like the TDF but with only one spectator instead of 20 million!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Spoke to Gethin Butler about why the tandem record is so much slower than his solo record. He said it's far more physically damaging to ride a tandem as each rider doesn't have the option of moving the bike around under them as and when they like, so wear points tend to get exacerbated. He did a 24 hour event on one and said he wouldn't do another minute. I think it's going to be hard.

OP
OP
claver58

claver58

Über Member
At 5pm Monday they were 1 hr ahead of schedule near Gloucester. Their detailed schedule says Kendal, Cumbria at 5.18am so expect them around 4-4.15am!
Then the hardest part (?) of the journey to go up Shap. I plan to be there on north end of Kendal if anyone else wants to be there (!) I start work at 5am so it only means getting up a bit early!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just looked at the route through Bristol and I was actually in a park on the route at approximate the time they went past the park - I can't believe I was so close and missed it!!!:cry::cry:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Only just cottoned on to this....

Highly amused by the torygraph's command of geography:

"As the two Olympic medalists pass under the Forth Bridge in Bristol there is little time to admire the scenery."

OP
OP
claver58

claver58

Über Member
Yes, I saw them at 4.45am north of Kendal on the road to Shap. They stopped in a lay-by as Rebecca has been having the runs - so she went to the Motorcaravan to **** whilst I and some others spoke to James about the trip and Shap etc.
I got the impression that he realises that it is not at all certain that they will break the record, but there is no way thatb the two of them would NOT finish. They'll get there regardless.
Spoke to another man who was the 'quote' in Sat's Telegraph article that they won't do it because the record is so good. Forgot his name but involved with Candy cycling and holds the London-Brighton and London-Cardiff records.
Just googled the RRA site and he is P W Griffiths and his records are from the early 70's. He and his wife are following James and Rebecca from Stoke to wherever - they just put a mattress in the car and set off yesterday. Photo of Cracknell hopefully follows.

Top Bottom