England : Suffolk Crafted Classique - Suffolk sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_B

While I enjoyed the majority of the ride, that was probably the worst organised sportive I have been on. :angry:

My grumbles with it are as follows;
1. Registration was inside, but with three queues, one out of the door, meaning you couldn't really tell which queue you were supposed to join.
2. Riders were let off in groups of six, meaning big queue to get started, with a gap between groups. However, there was no safety briefing or anything on the line, like 100 miles follow yellow and 100kms follow white arrows etc. It was literally, off you go.
3. The selected roads were some of the sandiest you would want to ride on with 23mm tyres
4. Despite there being five stops on the 100 miles the first stop I used was the third at 35 miles. I was an earlyish starter and went at a fair pace, so I suspect I was one of the earlier arrivals at this stop, however they had run out of food. Speaking to a colleague today, by the time he got there they had also run out of water.

I am in two minds as to email the organisers as they can surely do a lot better than this next time...

You paid good money to ride the event, if you didn't think it was value for money you should let them know. I would think as it was the first sportive they had organised, they will be glad of any feedback.

Suffolk Cycling

Yes I was stuck with no water or food in Orford at the 35-mile stage. Very nice route, and I'll forgive organisers as it was one of the first they had done (I think).

My blog report and video of the event is here... if you took part, it's highly likely I filmed you overtaking me :blush:

http://www.suffolkcycling.com/cycling/fine-art-being-overtaken-constantly/

BUR70N

When I finished I heard someone from Crafted saying they have this event for 5 years starting with this year.

So I would of thought good feed back is what is required to help improve it!

The stop at Newbourne was also a stop for the way back!

I enjoyed myself having never done anything like this before and hadn't been on the bike the week before, with the most amount of miles being 35. I did the 100km which was a good amount for me in a good time (knowing that I could of been quicker)

On the start line I did hear the chap give points to some but not every row and with everyone being set off in 6 rider groups only for the traffic lights to hold about 20 of us up going up bishops hill was funny..

mattobrien

Guru
Email from the event organisers;

We learnt a lot from the day and just want to reassure you that this will all go forward and help create an even better ride in 2015. A couple of things didn’t go as smoothly as we hoped, and we apologise, but we really appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding on the day.

Key aspects that will be improved include
·space available for registration with a faster process
·the amount of product available at some rest stops
·an earlier start process

mattobrien

Guru
They haven't made a very good job of collecting the signs. I have seen some today.
I do think that shortly after the event they cease being signs and become litter. I too have seen signs out and have also seen some others nearby, yellow background and black arrows, on a different route. There is a danger that unless signs get collected it could all get rather confusing for folk trying to follow some...

Colin_B

I do think that shortly after the event they cease being signs and become litter. I too have seen signs out and have also seen some others nearby, yellow background and black arrows, on a different route. There is a danger that unless signs get collected it could all get rather confusing for folk trying to follow some...
I agree, it wont be long before its hard to follow a route with so many similar coloured signs.
Is it time for us cyclists to take matters into our own hands and start to collect the old signs and dispose of them ?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The signs are still up out Kirton way, sounds like a poor event and I am glad I did not waste my money on it.

Bonno

Guru
Did the Crafted classic yesterday....what a great sportive.
Bacon bap and coffee to start, excellent feed stops and hog roast and cider to finish, all for £25!
Excellent course, mostly smooth country roads, and even courteous 4x4 drivers down the lanes!
Will definitely be back next year.
Ps. thanks to the small group of friendly Ipswich BC riders who let us sit in the group!.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Did the Crafted classic yesterday....what a great sportive.
Bacon bap and coffee to start, excellent feed stops and hog roast and cider to finish, all for £25!
Excellent course, mostly smooth country roads, and even courteous 4x4 drivers down the lanes!
Will definitely be back next year.
Ps. thanks to the small group of friendly Ipswich BC riders who let us sit in the group!.

Great! I was sorry to miss it this year but look forward to riding again next year.

Top Bottom