Craigslist Raleigh find.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Someone tell him that 531 is steel, nice bike though. :becool:

Someone tell him that 531 is steel, nice bike though. :becool:

Not a big surprise. In the US Reynolds (that's the other Reynolds for us Brits) is synonymous with aluminium. If you are not a bit of a bike geek it's an easy enough thing to get confused about.

And it doesn't just happen in the US: My 531sl framed Peugeot was advertised as being aluminium. I have seen a similar confusion with Columbus Aelle tubing being advertised as aluminium.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I didn't watch the whole video, but I got the impression that RJ The Bike Guy is well aware that the frame is steel rather than aluminum (sic) - at about 33 seconds he says something like "the advert said it had a Reynolds 531 aluminum frame, that's what it said, aluminum..".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not a big surprise. In the US Reynolds (that's the other Reynolds for us Brits) is synonymous with aluminium. If you are not a bit of a bike geek it's an easy enough thing to get confused about.

And it doesn't just happen in the US: My 531sl framed Peugeot was advertised as being aluminium. I have seen a similar confusion with Columbus Aelle tubing being advertised as aluminium.
I think it's more that people these days equate steel as heavy (think BSO) therefore if the bike is light then it must be aluminium.

Top Bottom