Cramp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have never had cramp while riding but on todays ride I got it twice, both times in my calf. Why could this be? I was riding my usual loop and my usual speed...nothing different...it was colder though.:biggrin:

gratts

It's encouraged by lack of oxygen and changes in temperature, amongst other things..
Were you finding yourself out of breath or owt?
Did you go from a nice warm house out into the cold?
Did you feel cold? Wearing any more than previous days considering it was colder?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Did you go from a nice warm house out into the cold?
Did you feel cold? Wearing any more than previous days considering it was colder?

yes...but I did the sdame last winter and got no cramp..maybe I'm just older

Jonathan M

So many variables in cramp,it could all be down to an altered fluid intake in the previous couple of days.
When I cramp it is nearly always in warmer weather, and must be related to fluid 7 electrolyte loss. Don't tend to cramp in cooler weathers.

Blonde

You can get it from very fast cadence when not warmed up sufficiently, or conversely, from pushing a very large gear when not warmed up sufficiently - something to do with the intense muscle contractions. Warming up well with a bit of on-bike stretching (you know, unclip one foot, stretch calf etc) once warmed up could help.

jimboalee

Every morning in the company cafe, I had 3 eggs, two bangers and a slice of black pud. On this I would empty two of those small satchets of LO-Salt, 66% Potassium chloride.:biggrin:

Lately, I've changed that brekky for a Proto Pure bar from GNC. Chewy chocolate chip variety.:smile:

I've also noticed an increased occurance of cramps when I am just dozing off to sleep. :sad:

Back to the fry-up..:smile: Not enough salt in the protein bar.

e-rider

crappy member
I tend to only get cramp when I'm completely knackered at the end of a 100 miler for example - I assumed that it was related to dehydration/loss of salts etc. and muscles that want a rest!

Never had it while I'm still feeling fresh.

mr Mag00

rising member
you may find in the colder weather you are holding your feet tense

jax67

my cramps are caused by lack of oxygen and poor circulation due to a spinal problem (osteoarthritis) and very low bp when cycling. I carry potassium chloride with me and lots of fluids, paracetamol, and do stretching exercises at the side of the road if i cramp up - it helps no end

Top Bottom