Crane drivers' signals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There was a big crane delivering stuff to the building site opposite this morning, and I got to noticing the various signals the builders gave the driver to instruct him to go up, down, left right etc when he couldn't see the load himself due to the building in the way. I guess these must be standard, since the cranes are generally contracted out to lots of different building firms...

In particular, I noticed 2 different 'up' signals - one was a straightforward thumbs up (thumbs down for down - like diving I think?) and the other was a sort of winding motion with an upraised finger. Does anyone know what all these signals mean? I also noticed a sign which was the fingers and thumb coming together, like a sock puppet eating, without the sock, which I think was a sort of down signal. It was certainly interesting, to see how carefully this huge crane could place stuff.

I really should have done some work, rather than watch all this...

TVC

Arch said:
There was a big crane delivering stuff to the building site opposite this morning, and I got to noticing the various signals the builders gave the driver to instruct him to go up, down, left right etc when he couldn't see the load himself due to the building in the way. I guess these must be standard, since the cranes are generally contracted out to lots of different building firms...

In particular, I noticed 2 different 'up' signals - one was a straightforward thumbs up (thumbs down for down - like diving I think?) and the other was a sort of winding motion with an upraised finger. Does anyone know what all these signals mean? I also noticed a sign which was the fingers and thumb coming together, like a sock puppet eating, without the sock, which I think was a sort of down signal. It was certainly interesting, to see how carefully this huge crane could place stuff.

I really should have done some work, rather than watch all this...

Lower very slowly, used when trying to place something precisely.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers all... I can see now, the difference between hoisting straight and raising the boom (the boom being at an angle will carry a thing across as well as up...)

I could watch it all for hours. In fact, I did....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Someone I know had her viva yesterday, passed with a few typos to correct. That sent me into a pit of despair and panic over the whole thing. Mind you, the cheap New Zealand fizz at the celebration probably didn't help.

The guy doing the signaling is usually called a 'banksman'
I use fingers coming together signal to let operator know he's very close, load is in position when the fingers meet. I've also used it guiding cars back into tight spaces were the drivers view is restricted, current car has a camera though :biggrin:

Finding the local construction industry educational then Arch?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
What did the craine do when the dude gave them?..

Well, I could easily see what meant up and down and so on, but my view of the whole crane was restricted (I'm not bad that I actually stick my head out of the window to watch), so I was missing the finer points of boom movement...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train said:
I love it that Arch gets happily distracted by a crane in action. Why can't more women be like that? Beats weekend mall walking.

Malls, ugh... I get a sort of mall phobia - I'm ok for a little while, but then if I don't get what I want (usually trainers) in either of the first two shops I try, I get very bad tempered, and if not alone, have to be bought tea and or cake to calm down.

Charity shops though, I can browse for ages....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Arch - I'm telling you that you haven't lived until you've had quality fun time with a self-erecting Potain crane. You work it by remote control, standing on a nearby building. It can take a tonne, which isn't much by crane standards, but, hey, once that load's in the air, under your control, you just don't want to let go of it.
http://www.potain.com/index.cfm

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arch - I'm telling you that you haven't lived until you've tried to pick up a cuddly toy worth 50p on a Palace Pier arcade 'attraction' costing a quid a go:biggrin:

Top Bottom