Crank Arm & Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Well hello.

Having installed a new BB just 40 days or so ago an annoying and all too familiar noise appeared, the creaking of the left hand side of crankset.

Truth is, I can't actually believe it has failed so perhaps it has not!

I managed to take the left arm off yesterday and noticed that the shim between the bolts had moved about and was probably not doing anything.

At this time I wish to confess that I don't have a torque wrench with which to tighten anything.

So I put the crank arm back on and made sure the shim was in place.

My lunch ride started out very very noisily but after a few miles up hill it actually disappeared.

What the blazes!!!

Maybe its my 8 year old look keo pedals

I think I had better remove the crank arm and start over with the BB installation.

I have to sort it, driving me mad!

Have a look HERE.

You might be surprised by some of the places noises can come from.

Oh and forget about a torque wrench, you really don't need one IME.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Have a look HERE.

You might be surprised by some of the places noises can come from.

Oh and forget about a torque wrench, you really don't need one IME.

Blimey! Frame crack / creak amongst others. I think I have had most of these issues except the frame one.

Lonestar

Veteran
Yup click at the same spot all the time and this has been going on for a few thousand miles.dd.Even my crank arm failure last December didn't fix it.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

SOLVED: The plastic shim between the crank bolts had disintegrated, the open gap between the bolts was making the noise. I have temporarily put a small metal washer in its place and it is silent. BB is fine! I wonder if I can source a replacement shim.

thanks all

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

NOT SOLVED: A metal washer was a stupid idea - Crank arm was loose on the way home and I have lost the flippin black plastic tightening nut. Have put a plastic shim in now, but will I be able to ride without the plastic nut??

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I am missing this now - safe to ride without one ??

wheels-manufacturing-shimano-ultegra-chain-set-fixing-bolt-na-EV204311-9999-1.jpg

Top Bottom