Crank for an older Specialized P.3 (short) Dirt Hopper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sramcialized

Thanks to the kind members who helped me with my spoke issue and the shifter cable issue. Very solid advice that helped me to make good decisions.

This Specialized short frame P.3 Dirt Hopper is turning out to be quite the project. The crank just gave out. Still turns, but it's very loose, thus time to replace it. Started to seize up then crunch, then eventually gave way and became loose.

I called Specialized and provided the serial number, but they said it's so old that they don't have it in their system, nor do they believe they have the correct part. This is a bit surprising since I figured it would be a standard sized penetration that could facilitate a standard size crank, aftermarket or not.

Could someone advise either per attached photos, or with a procedure regarding how to ascertain what crank will fit? Presumably a precision measuring device will help here.. assuming that Specialized couldn't advise me if the opening is an atypical diameter.

What tools are advised for this procedure? Any additional materials (packing grease, other lubricants, etc)?

This is really a special bike worth saving (rides very nice when dialed in) but it is a bit of a money pit at this point, thus looking for the cheapest way to get this back on the road. The pedals and NS Race Face pedal arms are ok, but the gear does have a chipped tooth which causes the chain to fall off periodically.

Please let me know if any further info is required to advise on replacing the crank. Pictures aren't the best, can re-take if further visual inspection is required.

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Might be a good idea to source a new crankset.
Can you say what BB you have? If you can’t a pic would suffice. If the crank has come loose it sounds like you may have the old Shimano Octalink BB spindle system.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Take left hand crank off (hex key for the bolt and a crank puller) and let's have one of your excellent images of the spindle end.
Also measure between adjacent chainring bolts (c-c) in mm (3 sig figs).
These: Race Face North Shore DH Crankset 170 Triple 9 Speed 22 32 44 ISIS 94 58 BCD (I am not recommending this obv: is triple, just for identification) suggest BB might be ISIS.
1683541735647.png

AASSIA
Have you fixed the spoke and replaced the cable yet?
Thanks to the kind members who helped me with my spoke issue and the shifter cable issue. Very solid advice that helped me to make good decisions.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
With the uncertainty of what is actually wrong and the dilema of what replacement parts are needed, plus not having the tools for the job, I suggest starting with your local bike shop and at least ask for a quote and a list of what parts they would replace.

The cost of tools needed often balances out the cost of labour and you would be gauranteed a working bike at the end of the day.

Good luck

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
He won't need many tools. If the crank is fooked then just 'drift it off' with a hammer, same goes for the other side if he's changing the set. All he'll need is a spanner or whatever to fix on the replacement.
Changing the BB then you're into different territory and better a LBS job.

Top Bottom