Crank movement after bottom bracket replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Went into bike shop with symptom of noise while pedalling, seemed like chain on front derailleur noise, if pedalling hard and slow enough I could even make out the rhythm of each link slipping off the metal of the derailleur edge. Sounded okay when turned by hand or light pedalling, noise came when pedalling harder, and was across half or more of the rear cogs, and not due to cross-chaining (i.e. it happened on big chainring and smaller cogs).

Bike shop checked cranks, found movement, diagnosed new bottom bracket which they replaced.

Didn't get rid of noise at all, and that evening there is noticeable play in the drive side crank/chainrings - pulling sideways at the pedal moves the top of the chainring a good 3-4mm or so. I can't detect much/any movement in the non-drive side crank.

So 1) what could cause such movement on drive side only? I'm assuming any bottom bracket movement would be detectable equally in both cranks?

And 2) How do I know they didn't just waste £65 replacing the bottom bracket when it didn't need replacing? It was maybe two years old but hardly any use, surprised if it had seen more than 100 miles. It is a Cannondale pushfit though.

Will be taking it back to the shop, just want to get an idea of what to expect them to say.

Last edited:
It sounds like dodgy chain ring bolts to me. Maybe they just need tightening.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you have end float it sounds like either a spacer needed or if its like my crank set you have a adjustable crank system to remove float after setting chainline "sram"

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Spindle loose on the crank set, how much should that set me back to replace?

Any problems getting a BB30 compatible crank set?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
If it has only done 100 miles, then no component should need replacing. Can you take a video to show the movement?

It's in the shop so can't video it - he took the crankshaft and showed me the movement between the crankset and the axle/spindle, and that matched to what I saw when it was all on the bike. No idea if that problem has been there since the beginning.

He implied there was no way to fix the axle onto the crankset, and that replacing the whole thing was necessary.

No reason to doubt the guy I bought it from who said he hardly rode it, just around local roads a few times, but the shop are saying inside the bottom bracket was dirty and with some standing water. I've only ridden it in drizzle once for 15 minutes and one ride of 20 miles where it came back with grit on the frame (probably another 30 miles on top of that) but I'm sure it wouldn't have affected inside the bottom bracket in that short space of time.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
It's an FSA Omega compact, the only one i can find on t'internet is the megaexo version, which I think is different to the BB30 version this bike would have. The guy showed me the movement and it did look like the spindle had the same pattern of slots on both ends, as if it was removable. I didn't really know what I was looking at though.

edit: so probably like this one: https://www.cannondaleexperts.com/F...034t-175mm-Crankset--Take-Off-New_p_6024.html

I'm wondering whether to take it to a different shop to a get a second opinion, I'll see what they say when the call back with a quote.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I've got no idea what worn bearings look like but this is what they gave me back the first time:

IMG_20191121_151037.jpg

Top Bottom