Crank thread sticking out beyond pedal - catching on shoe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2mths

Hi,

I appreciate a picture would be worth a 1000 words here, so I will try and upload one.

I have a 90s? Raleigh road bike that came off ebay and is currently getting me to and from work. I have just put clip on pedals onto it and run into a bit of an issue.

The crank axle (not sure of proper description - sorry) protrudes a few mm out past the outer edge of crank on the left hand side. As my foot rotates it can (and occasionally does) catch the axle and it is very quickly going to ruin my shoes.

Beyond trying to keep my foot away from it (normally catches whilst cornering) and or putting some sacrificial tape on show and over axle - is there anything you can suggest about why this might be happening or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
(off to go take a photo)

img_5748_crop-png.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Hall

At a guess you have an ISO bottom bracket (the bottom bracket includes the "crank axle") and have a JIS crank. (ISO= International Standards Orgaqnisation, JIS= Japanese Industrial Standard). Explanation is here, but the two standards are subtly different.

If that is the case, fitting a JIS bottom bracket, such as a Shimano UN55 available for 15 quid, or UN26 for a tenner, should sort it. You'll need to know the axle length, so measure the old one.

OP
OP

2mths

Image to illustrated attached to this post. I'd left it too long to edit my original one.

Attachments

• IMG_5748_Crop.png
    IMG_5748_Crop.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 56

Tim Hall

(Thanks for adding the photo Shaun)

Hmm. The plot thickens a little. That looks like a cup and cone Bottom Bracket, which is easily replaced with a cartridge JIS BB, as mentioned upthread. But just by being a cup and cone one points to it being the original bit of kit. I don't know what standard Raleigh used back then. Are there any type numbers on the crank?

@raleighnut or @biggs682 , will the OP be likely to have a 26tpi BB shell on a bike of that age?

The UNxx BB will have a female thread on the end of the "crank axle", which isn't an issue, just thought I'd point it out, as you have a male thread at present.

OP
OP

2mths

I will look on the bike for numbers on or near the crank and report back.

By way of general info here's a pic of the bike that might give more clue (to those with the relevant knowledge) as to it's age - in case that matters.
I think I've owned it for nearly 10 years, but until a few months ago had only ridden it once (got a puncture first time out and it got abandoned in the garage). It's life before that was at least in part with a cyclist where I think it moved down the rankings -> Training bike -> Winter bike -> surplus to requirements

IMG_5751.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Tim Hall i would guess at std uk threads but you never know with Raleighs

i have never seen the threads sticking out that far , and if @2mths replaces with a sealed unit of same length and a female end dont forget you will need to crank bolts

You could get a workshop to file the protuding bolt down so that it doesn't, er, protrude...

bb

OP
OP

2mths

You could get a workshop to file the protuding bolt down so that it doesn't, er, protrude...

bb
This was my original thinking, however I wondered if I was being brutish and possibly not respectful of the bike by taking this approach?

I am happy to spend a little money and effort to preserve the bike, however I will admit I am not fully following the Bottom Bracket discussions above.

Ajax Bay

Guru
At a guess you have an ISO bottom bracket (the bottom bracket includes the "crank axle") and have a JIS crank. (ISO= International Standards Orgaqnisation, JIS= Japanese Industrial Standard). Explanation is here, but the two standards are subtly different.
I am not fully following the Bottom Bracket discussions
You need to read the link @Tim Hall gave you: "Explanation is here,"
Does the left hand crank match the right hand? Your second image shows no axle protusion on the 'drive' side. I wonder if you have a JIS square taper left hand crank and an ISO right one (which goes on the ISO BB axle the right amount).

(Thanks for adding the photo Shaun)

Hmm. The plot thickens a little. That looks like a cup and cone Bottom Bracket, which is easily replaced with a cartridge JIS BB, as mentioned upthread. But just by being a cup and cone one points to it being the original bit of kit. I don't know what standard Raleigh used back then. Are there any type numbers on the crank?

@raleighnut or @biggs682 , will the OP be likely to have a 26tpi BB shell on a bike of that age?

The UNxx BB will have a female thread on the end of the "crank axle", which isn't an issue, just thought I'd point it out, as you have a male thread at present.
Why do you doubt your original story? I thought it was valid.

Top Bottom