Crankset upgrade help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
I am looking to upgrade the stock Crankset that came with my carrera vanquish (9 speed) . It's currently a truvativ touro.

uploadfromtaptalk1373213570660.jpg

However the bottom bracket is nearing the end of its life and I am thinking about instead of buying a new bottom bracket to put the money towards upgrading and getting a second hand tiagra/105 Crankset to complete the tiagra groupset on it.

uploadfromtaptalk1373213788290.jpg

Could anyone tell me what Crankset in the tiagra or 105 range (in black) would be compatible with my bike please?

I did look on Sheldon brown but couldn't digest the information.

Few pictures for reference:

uploadfromtaptalk1373213973464.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373214002696.jpg

Many thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's a standard 68mm shell so providing you can get/have the tools or LBS to get other half of the BB out, should be no further issues

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
It's a standard 68mm shell so providing you can get/have the tools or LBS to get other half of the BB out, should be no further issues

Wasn't sure if that other bit of BB was fixed to the frame or not. I have the tool but didn't rive at it. So should be able to get it out. So any 68mm will be compatible?

T.M.H.N.E.T

It'll be threaded like the other half. Yep, any 68mm shimano BB will fit, as tiagra is a 24mm hollowtech2 crankset the bb needs to match, but you can use tiagra/105/ultegra or durace BB's.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Many thanks for your help. I appreciate it. What length BB would I need? As don't seem m/any shimano 108mm BB.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Yes sorry. That is what I mean. Should the 109mm spindle length be compatible with my bike with the 105 5502 crankset? Or would the 118mm do? Cheers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

That's a completely different BB type that's also discontinued. I'd suggest you do a bit more research on BB's then decide what chainset you want.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Ok thanks for you help. I now understand that the hollowtech has no spindle length.
I was just looking at this:

http://www.slanecycles.com/shimano-105-fc5502-crankset-black-9-speed-p-20506.html

And the BB

http://www.slanecycles.com/shimano-105-bb5500-105-bottom-bracket-p-18971.html

Top Bottom