Crap, ridiculously expensive "classic" cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Hasn't quite got the same appeal as the original

48094786362_03c6d66a57_b.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
And there's me thinking you'd found one of the real classics
46259-0.jpg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another - grotty old Sierra XR4i for £7.5k :ohmy:

I could almost understand were it an original, low-mileage example, but it's tatty, has been horribly butchered (tank in boot, multi-point harnesses on granny's-gone-to-Tesco-spec seats, bonnet vents) and isn't really worthy of any form of motorsport as it's fitted with arguably one of Ford's worst abominations of an engine.

I'd not give £750 for it tbh..

364795745_10160372561658347_2380275165365309943_n.jpg

366951689_10160372561613347_5569122165883992484_n.jpg

364793733_10160372561518347_8741889336041658043_n.jpg

363937552_10160372561103347_2713682508387008754_n.jpg

Jameshow

Veteran
Another - grotty old Sierra XR4i for £7.5k :ohmy:

I could almost understand were it an original, low-mileage example, but it's tatty, has been horribly butchered (tank in boot, multi-point harnesses on granny's-gone-to-Tesco-spec seats, bonnet vents) and isn't really worthy of any form of motorsport as it's fitted with arguably one of Ford's worst abominations of an engine.

I'd not give £750 for it tbh..

View attachment 702967

View attachment 702968

View attachment 702969

View attachment 702970

What's wrong with V6 apart from power?!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The 2.8 Cologne had siamesed exhaust ports - i.e. instead of each of the six cylinders having one port leading into one runner on the manifold, one cylinder on each head had its own port while the other two on that had were merged into one at the head; leading into one manifold runner.

The result is that the cylinders with siamesed ports have less flow area and it cocks up the exhaust pulse phasing / scavanging. While typically large(ish) displacement multi-cylinder engines are tuned / known for a reasonable amount of torque at relatively low engine speeds, due to the cack head design the 2.8 doesn't get peak torque until quite high up (about 4.5k rev/min IIRC as opposed to the 3-3.5k you'd typically expect).

It also tends to make less than its headline output of 160bhp - IIRC back in the day a good one would make 145bhp on the rollers.. which is pretty pitiful when you consider the sort of specific output some of the Vauxhall and Jap engines were managing..

In practice you'd get similar revvy characteristics / power delivery to a smaller, higher-tuned engine, but with all the downsides of a large-displacement, heavy V6.

Gunk

Guru
The 2.8 Cologne had siamesed exhaust ports - i.e. instead of each of the six cylinders having one port leading into one runner on the manifold, one cylinder on each head had its own port while the other two on that had were merged into one at the head; leading into one manifold runner.

The result is that the cylinders with siamesed ports have less flow area and it cocks up the exhaust pulse phasing / scavanging. While typically large(ish) displacement multi-cylinder engines are tuned / known for a reasonable amount of torque at relatively low engine speeds, due to the cack head design the 2.8 doesn't get peak torque until quite high up (about 4.5k rev/min IIRC as opposed to the 3-3.5k you'd typically expect).

It also tends to make less than its headline output of 160bhp - IIRC back in the day a good one would make 145bhp on the rollers.. which is pretty pitiful when you consider the sort of specific output some of the Vauxhall and Jap engines were managing..

In practice you'd get similar revvy characteristics / power delivery to a smaller, higher-tuned engine, but with all the downsides of a large-displacement, heavy V6.

I do like a six pot engine, I’ve them since 1993 when I had a Golf VR6 as a company car, then a 325tds touring, a Merc C240 estate, BMW 330i and later 325i touring and now a 330d touring

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I do like a six pot engine, I’ve them since 1993 when I had a Golf VR6 as a company car, then a 325tds touring, a Merc C240 estate, BMW 330i and later 325i touring and now a 330d touring

Yes, I like straight sixes due to their inherent balance and corresponding smooth running and good life; although I've only ever had Vs (and they've been grotty Ford offerings).

I do like the BMW straights; especially the last-of-the-line NA engines (N52) as fitted to the E90 3 series and and later E85 Z4s.. The Si variants look particularly nice as they rev well and have a pretty high specific output (the 3.0 is 265bhp). Interestingly they also use valve lift to throttle the engine rather than a butterfly; which I reckon must be good for maintaining a good mixture / efficiency at low loads.. they certainly seem pretty good on fuel for the amount of poke they're capable of!

Did you prefer the characteristics of the petrol or diesel engines? I'm drawn the efficiency of the latter, but that's about the only reason :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member

2 lots of cylinder heads, valve trains, larger and heavier block casting. The smoother straight 6 is is not only lighter, but with typical crank configuration has much better primary balance. A lot to gain wil little lost in the way of compactness.

I too love the older BMW sixes, at least the ones that didn't have Nickasil bores.

Top Bottom